Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gassed while POW

markinbelfast

I was chatting today to a friend who insists that her father-in-law was gassed while a prisoner during WW1....when I asked was she sure she wasn't mistaken..maybe he was gassed then taken prisoner she was adamant that he was taken prisoner first then gassed...she stated that the soldier became quite irate when asked the same question....anyone else heard of this?

also has anyone access to the POW database to see if the man features?

cheers

mark

Could he have been in the mines and been exposed to some form of natural gas?

Just a thought.

Des

Were POWs not often held in pens close to the lines until removed to camps? Could he have been gassed by gas shells fired into the area from Allied lines? Any thoughts?

Carninyj

The lady has great stories....as well as great sets of medals!!

The man returned from the war and was "so bad with his lungs" that he could never work again.I've downloaded his mic and theres no mention of a swb...his photo does appear in the local paper with the caption-taken prisoner.

He had three sons....one died as a RAF man in WW2...another joined the Ulster Rifles and the third son had to stay at home and look after his father...

Funny thing Mark - was thinking about this.

OUR family story has George Thompson being gassed and captured in the March 21 offensive ... but I'm led to understand that a lot of the gas used in that attack was 'tear gas' more for distraction and discomfort purposes.

NOW I do know he died of TB in the very early 30s .. when my Mum was just 10 or 11 years old. However, SHE was very firm about him suffering from the affects of gas.

Is it possible that he, too, could have been held in a cage minus his gas mask etc and felt effects of a British counter-bombardment of gas?

He was in the 36th Div. sector .. anyone know if the British did get a chance to fire off gas shells to break up what would have been a rear area for the Germans? Or of a German chemical accident?

I know it's a long shot but you never know!!

I thought POWs were allowed to keep their gas-equipment available. At least I have seen many photos, for example; of German prisoners captured by French and being lead behind the lines. All were (at least what I saw) carrying their metal canister for gasmask.

Hi Mark

In my research I've found two soldiers who have been harmed by shells after being captured.

They were both being worked not far behind the German lines and within range of British shellfire. One was killed outright by this, and the other suffered severe shell shock and later comitted suicide.

So it could be very possible that your man was affected by British Gas once he was behind German lines.

Regards

Andrew

As some will recall from one of my previous postings on here that my great uncle, Joseph Steele was killed by 'friendly fire' along with some others from the same regiment whilst being held prisoner at Salome in France almost 3 weeks after being taken prisoner. So as you say, it is possible that they were gased by the allied forces.