Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Stockton on Tees War Memorial

ralphjd

Can any Pal provide an image of the following lads name for our database - Frederick William DAY Sapper Royal Engineers. Thanks Ralph.

• 1 month later...

ralphjd

I obtained this photograph of the Royal Engineers War memorial at the Parish Church (St Thomas), Stockton on Tees about 20 years ago when I was researching 4 Royal Engineers who were killed and had served with the 234th, 225th and 227th Field Company's.  The church was open and I was able to just walk in but I was unable to find any register in the church of the men killed, and they are not recorded on the main Stockton war memorial. There was no-one in the church so I was unable to find any memorial book to the casualties. I have attached the image, I am not sure if it is any use to you.

Regards

John

img868.jpg

Thanks mate, it is more than we have anyway, grateful. Ralph.

On 08/02/2024 at 14:18, ralphjd said:

Can any Pal provide an image of the following lads name for our database - Frederick William DAY Sapper Royal Engineers. Thanks Ralph.

It seems the names are in a book, not on the memorial.

North East War Memorials Project - (newmp.org.uk)

image.png.7b357bb286755cdbb3bdd3d549dc3a0c.png

Jonbem

Yes, I knew that the names were not on the memorial but in a book of remembrance, unfortunately I was unable to find it and there was no-one there to ask about it. I took this photograph over 20 years ago when I was able to just walk into the church, I doubt now that the church will have unlocked doors in case something goes astray. Stockton is not a place I visit too often, the last time was over 10 years ago so I am unable to try and trace the memorial book. I just wonder if we have any members living in that area who could assist Ralph?

John