Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniforms and cap badges

JonJB

I have no information on these family photos. Can anyone help with the indistinct cap badges on the first and uniform or cap badges on the second or anything on the third even to confirm it's not WWI?

JA 07 8 5 34.jpg

BT 23 4 26 18.jpg

BT 23 4 26 8.jpg

The third photo appears to post WW1 perhaps WW2 ? 
The first 2 look like they are wearing hospital blues (injured or sick). 
I’m afraid I can’t help with the cap badges.

Simon

24 minutes ago, JonJB said:

I have no information on these family photos. Can anyone help with the indistinct cap badges on the first and uniform or cap badges on the second or anything on the third even to confirm it's not WWI?

JA 07 8 5 34.jpg

BT 23 4 26 18.jpg

BT 23 4 26 8.jpg

In the second photo the man standing is either Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) or 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th Battalion, the London Regiment, they all wore the same cap badge. The seated man looks to be King's Own Scottish Borderers. They are both wearing Hospital Blues.       Pete.

It’s a good view of the hospital blue armlet, or in this case patch that was supposed to be worn on the arm of greatcoats when wearing hospital blue suit beneath.  However it’s a very pale colour compared to the suit, which is unusual.  Some hospitals used different colours to mark out the stage of recovery each soldier had reached.  The wounded Scottish soldier appears to be wearing a Tam-o-Shanter with the badge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

The lowermost Scottish junior infantry officer is wearing a WW2 era khaki drill uniform with 1937 mills pattern web belt and anklets.

Edited by FROGSMILE

That's all great info, thanks, the hospital blue uniform is a new one to me. The photos probably originated from family in the Campbeltown area so the Argylls makes sense for the seated soldier. Now I have to work out who was injured WWI.

Can anyone help with the cap badges in the first photo, the badge at the centre front has some detail and at the back left side the external shape can be made out. If they are hospital photos it makes sense for mixed regiments

• Admin

Centre front might be Middlesex. Back row could be Green Howards and Royal Fusiliers. 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Centre front might be Middlesex. Back row could be Green Howards and Royal Fusiliers. 

Thanks I'll look them up

36 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

The man seated cross legged on floor at front seems to have a badge shaped like that of the Rifle Brigade, if he’s a regular army soldier.  But of course if a Territorial he could be one of several London Regiment units, or the Leeds, or Robin Hood, Rifles.  Like you I can see a Royal Fusiliers badge centre rear, but unfortunately I can’t make out the other one, Michelle.

Edited by FROGSMILE

41 minutes ago, JonJB said:

That's all great info, thanks, the hospital blue uniform is a new one to me. The photos probably originated from family in the Campbeltown area so the Argylls makes sense for the seated soldier. Now I have to work out who was injured WWI.

Can anyone help with the cap badges in the first photo, the badge at the centre front has some detail and at the back left side the external shape can be made out. If they are hospital photos it makes sense for mixed regiments

This is how the white lined Hospital Blue uniform looked, Jon.  It was first issued after the Crimean War in the mid 1850s and apart from length changed little until it was finally phased out in the 1960s.

IMG_9995.jpeg

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

This is how the white lined Hospital Blue uniform looked, Jon.  It was first issued after the Crimean War in the mid 1850s and apart from length changed little until it was finally phased out in the 1960s.

So the others in the 1st photo might be hospital staff/nurses, 2 of the women are dressed very alike

4 minutes ago, JonJB said:

So the others in the 1st photo might be hospital staff/nurses, 2 of the women are dressed very alike

Yes the fellow in uniform is probably an RAMC orderly and the women, administrators, or well wishers, as they’re not dressed as VAD or Army nurses.  Often groups of local people with a charitable intent organised trips out in charabancs to give wounded men a chance to enjoy excursions in the fresh air.

Edited by FROGSMILE

23 minutes ago, JonJB said:

This is all very helpful thanks. 

You can learn more about hospital blue here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kWm0mnsxqmw

Organisations like the Red Cross and local charities did much to raise funds to organise day trips out.

IMG_2359.jpeg

IMG_2360.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE