Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Kilt

robbie56

Hi

My following comments are based on owning a number of genuine WWI kilts and in no way as an expert in this area; just a very keen collector.

To me it often seems difficult to decide without seeing and more importantly feeling a kilt.  The next thing I tend to say to myself is if I bought it (possibly against my reservations), might I grow to regret it based on later doubts or hindsight.

Personally I would really like to see the remains of a paper label, or of the glue that stuck the label as first proof of the period.  Failing that I would look at the W /1\ D mark or any other year, or service number/ regimental marks.

Presuming there is no label or you would have said, four things would make me doubt its 'WWI' title. 

I don't like the crow-foot, or the way it is neatly cut off  across the top. 

Then the E seems at bit high and too far inbetween the W and the D. 

I am amazed at how clean the inner serge liner is and how neatly it appears to have been sewn into the kilt. 

Then the strap looks newer than the period and doesn't appear to be that strongly attached to the liner/ kilt.  I accept this could be a later replacement, but there is no sign of a previous strap fitting.  It might be that it could have been originally worn with pins and not straps, but I'm not sure the E for Edinburgh was in use early in the war when pins were used.  

Given those doubts I personally would pass on this one and not regret it at a later date. 

1 hour ago, robbie56 said:

IMG_1789.jpeg

IMG_1788.jpeg

IMG_1787.jpeg

It’s the ‘Hunting Stuart’ tartan kilt worn by the “Dandy 9th” Territorial Force battalion (later 7/9th)  of the lowland Royal Scots (Lothian Regiment).

IMG_2352.jpeg

IMG_2353.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Hi Robbie

The material itself appears old enough.  The buckles and fixing material looks just like many of my kilts and to be fair the leather straps look more in keeping in these photos.  I would still have reservations about the WD stamp and even though the serge looks dirtier and more used in these photos, it still appears 'brighter'/ 'lighter' than on my kilts.  

I have been paying from £250- £350 in the last few years for a genuine kilt. 

With these photos (and if you specifically wanted a 9th Royal Scots kilt) I might be more tempted to bid; but I personally wouldn't be paying 'top dollar' because of my reservations.  If you got it for a low price you might feel you have a bargain.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS if you spot a WWI Black Watch kilt please let me know; I've been looking for ages.