Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French documentary, very poor...

stripeyman

I stumbled upon this on YouTube; The Battle of the Somme1916- First World War- Complete Documentary-AMP. A particularly awful modern take on this subject, this being just one of the inaccuracies. 'Massacre of 28,000 Australians to capture a single village'  No mention of where, when and the units concerned. Film editing none existent. give it a viewing see what you think.....   

Doesn't seem as if a hotlink has been posted Stripeyman. Do you want to try again?-_-

8 hours ago, geraint said:

Doesn't seem as if a hotlink has been posted Stripeyman.

Probably a blessing :D

9 hours ago, geraint said:

Doesn't seem as if a hotlink has been posted Stripeyman. Do you want to try again?-_-

What is a hotlink ?

A direct link - usually blue and underlined - to a website that will open when you click the link (I think the cursor changes form when hovering over such a link).

e.g. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news.

I can't remember whether a link that doesn't work is "dead" or "cold" (or both/either...).

I think this might be it?

I cannot confirm though. I'm in class and youtube is buffering too much.

Zidane.

Unsure why the title is in french- mine is 

'Somme 1916, The senseless battle - First World War - Complete Documentary - AMP'

Yes that is the one. Watched a few seconds, Americans were in the first attack, 60,000 dead, hundreds of thousands were buried where they fell, and so on, DREADFULL no other word for it. Redeeming feature was film clips that I had not seen before.

23 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

Yes that is the one. Watched a few seconds, Americans were in the first attack, 60,000 dead, hundreds of thousands were buried where they fell, and so on, DREADFULL no other word for it. Redeeming feature was film clips that I had not seen before.

I was guiding one American couple who refused point blank to believe that the US army was not decimated at the Battle of Verdun. Anything's possible.

Mind you, this pair wouldn't believe that rationing in WW2 in Europe was a awful as they had to put up with in the USA!

Hello,

The photo which you can see on the link doesn't look like anything WWI to me?

Jan

7 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I've now watched this in full and it has some good points.  Extracts from memoirs written by soldiers on both sides are read out by reenactors to members of the public, on the actual location.  These are quite moving.  The old black and white footage, or footage filmed shortly after, is evocative.

The disappointing aspect of this 2016 documentary is that there is no analysis, just endless commentary reinforcing the initial premise that donkeys led lions into slaughter.  Where one-sided caricature generals plot campaigns with total indifference to casualties or military gain. 

There is a lot of sensible analysis on this forum and in many other places that transcends the lions led by donkeys approach.  It's a pity the documentary makers did not tap into it.

Hmm! some excellent original footage including the French newsreels which were new to me. I'm not a fan of re-enactors, but I get what they are aiming for. Gld that I speed watched it though. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

It's now privated! We can no longer watch it.. perhaps a slight blessing?

I wonder why it was put to private..