Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Census query.

Duncan

Hi,

Can anyone help me with a census problem? I recently bought a George VI Special Constabulary Long Service Medal to a Hedley A. Hedges. The dealer stated that he was born at Shepton Mallet, Somerset in 1889.

I checked the 1901 census and cannot find a Hedley Hedges anywhere, and no Hedges coming from Shepton Mallet.

Can anyone check the 1881 or 1891 census for me please, or offer any advice?

I have a similar problem with an Able Seaman Ernest Gibbs born at Garleston, Great Yarmouth in 1875, killed in action in 1917. Oddly there is no record of him on the 1901 census.

Many thanks,

Duncan.

Hello Duncan

I cannot help you with your Hedges problem but there is a possibility that Seaman Gibbs may well, given his age, have been a pre-war rating and out of the country when the 1901 census was taken.

Andy

Duncan

Hedley shows up in both the 1891 and 1901 - in brief:

In 1891 he is at Ashwick: Netherbridge: Shepton Mallet, Somerset

RG12/1911 f.63 p.8

Harridge Farm

Albert Edwin Hedges 27 Farmer

Emily Kate Hedges 24

Lilian Kate 4

Hedley Albert 2

+ a farm labourer and general domestic servant

Hedley born in Ashwick.

In 1901 the family were at 1, Triangle Villas, Twerton, Somerset - more children by then.

RG13/2334 f.80 p.29

If you would like the page images with all the details let me know and I'll email them off list

Regards

Sue

Duncan

In the 1901 census, Hedley Albert Hedges is living at Tiverton in Somerset, with his parents Albert (37), a dairy man, and Emily (34), brothers Ernest (5) and Wilfred (8 months), and sisters Lilian (14), Elsie (9) and Dorothy (7).

The address looks like 1, Triangle Villas.

In 1891, the family lived at Harridge Farm, Ashwick.

Hedley's birth was registered in the March quarter of 1889, Vol 5c, Page 476.

Duncan

Hedley Albert Hedges birth registered March Qtr 1889 Shepton Mallet

Per 1891 Census Ashwick

Albert Edwin Hedges (Head), aged 27 years, Born Stretton on the Fosse, Farmer

Emily Kate Hedges (Wife), aged 24 years, Born Kilmarston

Lilian Kate Hedges (Dau), aged 4 years, Born Willow

Hedley Albert Hedges(Son), aged 2 years, Born Ashwick

Ashwick is in the Shepton Mallet registration district

1901 Census Family are in Twerford

Ernest Albert Gibbs birth registered in the March Qtr 1878 in Great Yarmouth (includes Gorleston)

1901 census Great Yarmouth

Sarah A Gibbs (Head, Widow), aged 54 years, Born Leiston Suffolk, Charwoman

Ernest A Gibbs (Son), aged 23 years, Born Great Yarmouth, Able Seaman Royall Navy

Violet A Gibbs (Dau), aged 9 years, Born Great Yarmouth

In 1891 the father James H Gibbs is with them aged 44 years, Born Gorleston, Suffolk, Fisherman

Also daughters Agnes (20) and Elizabeth (17)

Hope this is of help

Pam

Sorry, Sue, crossed in the posting !!

Stephen

I was determined to get one in some time! :rolleyes: I see some variations on the theme of a town, but it's Twerton, just west of Bath!

And Pam has got Ernest as well!

Sue

Sorry Sue and Stephen I must learn to type more quickly.

Anyway I think three answers are better than none especially if they all agree which I think we did.

Pam

Sue

Must be the failing eyesight !!!

Pam

Yeah, 3 answers pretty much confirms it.

But I also noticed that the search on the PRO website didn't find him. Wonder what he's been transcribed as?

Got him!

PRO have him transcribed as "Nedley Hedges"

Wow!!!

Thanks every one, that's loads of help.

I'm really delighted too cause I like collect WW2 medals with a Bath connection, Twerton now baing a suburb of Bath.

Once again, LOADS of thanks everyone.

Duncan.

Am I too late?

Bah, making me work while there be Censusing to do....

Mumble...grumble...

<Walks away kicking the ground>

Steve. :rolleyes:

I notice from other peoples kind responses that the ‘where born’ details are sometimes different. For example Emily Hedges is on the 1891 census as being born at Kilmersdon, and on the 1901 census as born at Holcombe. Though two villages that are close to each other, it seems odd that she gave two separate places. Similarly her daughter Lillian born at both Wellow and Stoney Littleton.

Does this sort of thing crop up very often?

Cheers,

Duncan.

Duncan

Yes, it does occur a lot!

If you picture a scenario, when a person lived at home with their parents, then it would be the Head of the house would who have completed the census return and passed it back to the enumerator.

By the time of the next census, the children may have "flown the nest" and may have completed the return themselves, or a spouse may have completed it for them, and entered the place of birth as somewhere close, but different from the original.

Also, in a rural setting, two villages may have been close together, but the birth takes place in a farm not actually in either one! Then depends on which village the person filling in the census facnies being from :-)

It's quite common for people to have a different view on where they were born, and also (more commonly), when they were born.

So it's not a science, nor even an art, but chance.

It can make tracking people down a little tricky, but Hey! What's life without a challenge!