Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brighton Chattri

Tim Birch

Last Sunday I was walking in the Downs above Brighton with some friends. We visited the Indian War Memorial Chattri where Hindu and Sikh soldiers who died of wounds in the Brighton Pavillion, used in the Great War as a military hospital, were cremated. I was suprised at how neglected the area has become, particularly the shrub and heather beds which radiate out from it. Is the CWGC responsible for upkeep? If not who is?

I also note that the stonework is pitted with what appear to be bullet holes. Does anyone know how this damage occured? I see from the OS that there used to be a rifle range in the valley below and wonder if in the past soldiers took pot shots at it?

It is certainly in a beautiful situation, although the peace is spoilt by the backgound roar of traffic from the A27 Brighton byepass which now runs between it and the city. Our visit was made all the more interesting because one of our party was an Indian doctor from my local hospital who was able to read aloud the Hindi inscription on the side. He told us that "Chattri" can be translated as "umbrella", "memorial" or "a group of students"!

Tim

Tim

This is not a CWGC memorial.

It used to be the responsibility of the India Office until that was disbanded many moons ago. It is now the responsibility of Brighton & Hove City Council.

Until a few years ago there used to be an annual remembrance service held there attended by the Indian High Commissioner but that seems to have ceased.

post-19-1113920054.jpg

Until a few years ago there used to be an annual remembrance service held there attended by the Indian High Commissioner but that seems to have ceased.

Thanks Terry

It's a pity that it seems to be falling back into obscurity again. Thanks for the photo - you can just see some of the (bullet?) marks on the left side of the steps.

Out of curiosity what determines whether or not the CWGC gets involved in maintaining a site? I appreciate that it is not strictly a war cemetery, but it is a war cremation site, although no names of the individual soldiers are recorded there.

Tim

CWGC does not 'maintain sites' at all.

It only maintains cemeteries, memorials or plots which it owns. To spend its funds on anything else would be a breach of its Royal Charter.

It does have contracts (permitted under the Charter) with some other authorities, notably the MoD, to maintain for a fee some cemeteries/plots/graves/memorials which are not its responsibility. It has even been known to take on the responsibility for some private war graves where necessary.

However, it can neither afford nor legally assume responsibility for property owned by another authority.

It has to be remembered that CWGC's business is not maintaining war memorials of a general kind. Their Charter duty is to maintain war cemeteries, graves and memorials to the missing pertaining only to casualties from WW1 & WW2.

Those cremated at the Chattri have their names recorded on memorials elsewhere. As a matter of interest, the ashes were scattered at sea off Brighton.

The good news is that these services still continue, I have been a couple of times. This year's ceremony is on 19 June. click here for more info

Charles

• 1 month later...

Hi Tim

Do you by any chance live in or near Brighton? If so would you be happy to take a photo or two of AIF gravestones? BRIGHTON (BEAR ROAD) BOROUGH CEMETERY

Just a thought..

Robbie

Robbie

Which two do you want? There are 27.

I have them all sitting here on my PC.

How many pics in total do you have in your collection Terry?

I'll take the lot if you want to get rd of the, i'm not greedy :lol:

seriously: O'NEILL, JOHN ALBERT

NEWELL, ALAN HERBERT

Thanks terry

Terrific thanks Terry.

Robbie :)

Here's O'Neill

Adrian

Here's a potted history of the Australian Provost Corps

3 April 1916

AIF Police Corps formed in Middle East during WW1.

February 1917

Name change to ANZAC Provost Corps.

1 January 1918

Name change to Australian Provost Corps.

The Australian Provost Corps was disbanded in 1920 along with the AIF in 1921. The Corps was not maintained as an "active" Corps of the Australian Army during the post war period of 1920 to 1938.

1911 to 1938

The Provost Staff and Provost Marshal.

During the post WW1 years the Australian Provost Corp (APC) was to be "considered" a Corps of the Australian Army.

The policing role of the Army was maintained by a Provost Marshal (PM) and a handful of Assistant Provost Marshals (APM) on the HQ of each Military District or Area and had garrison troops known as Regimental Police (RP) to carry out the policing duties.

Also during the period 1911 to 1928 the Military Police of the Permanent Force were termed the "Provost Staff" and it was their job to maintain and administer the compulsory Universal Training Scheme (UTS).

http://home.iprimus.com.au/buckomp/HistoryofCorpsName.htm

Adrian commented that this man died more than 1 year after the Armistace. Could some kind person look him up on SDGW please? Flu? Wounds?

Thanks

Robbie

Robbie

SDGW only has UK men - No Aussies, Canadians etc.

[/quote

I forgot...thanks Terry. Where would one look for cause of death for this guy?

Robbie

Sad - so far from home. As were so many.

adrianjohn