Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vegetable show award medal-Le Harve

Georgia

Hello,

I've just joined the group.

Please can anyone point me in the right direction for information on line or books about the vegetable shows held by the British Expeditionary Forces at Le Harve or elsewhere?

Thank you

Georgia

Thank you kenf48,

Sorry what is the TNA, when I Google it, I get wrestling 😳😅

Thank you

As the war increased and certain foods became in short supply, increasing emphasis was placed on military organisations cultivating their own vegetables and I have several references to this being done at Wiltshire training camps. I have a postcard showing a fine display inside a hut at Fovant Camp,  west of Salisbury.

There's an older topic on 'Gardening in the trenches'.

There are references to vegetable growing and an image of a medallion for Le Havre Vegetable Show Aug 1917.

TEW

Thank you everyone for your help. I'm interested as I recently bought a silver medal for the 1917 vegetable show from an auction. I live in France. I think it must have been a 2nd prize to a French civilian, a Monsieur Debeouf. The French Army were excluded from taking part, and impossible to find out why?! I'm a keen grower and was fascinated to think that these gardens and shows existed within a raging war. I'll continue researching this subject with the help of this group. 

I loved reading the diary entries of the soldiers. I'll look to see if there's a book published with a soldier who kept a garden.

Best wishes 

G

Check out John Stempel-Lewis' Where Poppies Blow: The British Soldier, Nature, and the Great War. It is very heartwarming to see how soldiers grew flowers and vegetables in the trenches and more than any other book it made me want to visit the battlefields. I don't remember any mention of vegetable competitions but one internment camp for British/foreign nationals in Germany did have a flower competition that eventually drew the attention of the Royal Horticulture Society.

• Admin

I've restored the missing images in the previously mentioned thread.

14 hours ago, kenf48 said:

"A Depot Company of German Prisoners of War won, with an average of 26 tons of vegetables produced per acre"

That is extremely impressive.
I'm assuming the bulk was potato, which an average fully mechanised and fertilized farm would be pushed to reach 20 tons/acre today.

Thanks Kenf48 and Dai Bach y Sowldiwr. 

23 hours ago, knittinganddeath said:

Check out John Stempel-Lewis' Where Poppies Blow: The British Soldier, Nature, and the Great War. It is very heartwarming to see how soldiers grew flowers and vegetables in the trenches and more than any other book it made me want to visit the battlefields. I don't remember any mention of vegetable competitions but one internment camp for British/foreign nationals in Germany did have a flower competition that eventually drew the attention of the Royal Horticulture Society.

Thank you, I have ordered this book to read. 

Also see the previous topic (August 2016)  "Article re Vegetable Show at Le Havre" ( British Library blog also mentioned above)

Edited by MaureenE