Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

7th Kings Liverpool Regiment

cockney tone

ladies & Gents, 'HELP PLEASE'

Years ago I purcahsed a really nice framed group photo of approx 40 men (Sergeants and officers) which is entitled 2nd Line 7th Kings Liverpool regiment.

It states it was taken at Old Park Camp, Canterbury, Kent on 13th December 1915 and the men are all named. I intended to research the picture but have never found time to follow this up. (A couple of hours uninterupptedon the CWGC would be a start I suppose) It hangs proudly on my study wall and i often gaze at it and wonder what happened to them all?

Does anybody know if the 7th went to France/flanders after this date? and what does '2nd Line mean?

Any info/guidance would be welcomed please,

Thank you,

Scottie.

(Cockney Tone)

Scottie,

The 7th Bn. King's Liverpool Regt was a territorial battalion. Upon the outbreak of war it was realised that a massive expansion of the army was required and as one of the measures to cope with this expansion, each of the territorial battalions was instructed to recruit a 'second line' battalion - nominally to absorb those who didn't sign the Imperial Service form and to provide reinforcements for the first line battalion. The Imperial Service obligation refers to the fact that Territorials, under the terms of their enlistment were not obliged to serve overseas - they were a home defence force in principle.

So, in this case the 7th Battalion evolved into the 1/7th & the 2/7th Battalions and very shortly after this a third line battalion was formed, the 3/7th.

The 1/7th trained at Canterbury until departing for France on 8th March 1915.

The 2/7th Bn formed at Bootle in Oct 1914 and began training at Blackpool. In February 1915 they moved to Canterbury to form part of the 171st Brigade, 57th (2nd West Lancs) Division.

In July 1916 they moved to Tweseldown, Aldershot , in September to Woking and in February 1917 they were sent to France. They served in France for the rest of the war.

I hope that helps.

Regards,

Ken

Scottie,

What a fascinating find. I'm sure we would all be interested in seeing a scan if possible. Given that all your chaps are named, I'd be interested if it includes Lt PW Lace - I'd quite like to know what he looked like !

thanks

Julian

Ken,

thank you for your reply, I have sent you an e-mail acknowledging the info which is really interesting.

Julian,

i will try to scan the picture in but i might have to wait for the brains of the family .(15 year old son) to help me.

Sadly the name Lt Pace does not appear, i will post the gentlemens names on when my 'help' has finished his homework.

regards to you both,

Cheers,

Scottie.

Ken,

sent a copy (bad copy) on an e-mail to you, did i manage to attach it to that/

regards,

Scottie.

(sorry, reading and writing not my strong point!)

Scottie,

Is there any chance of you putting the names of the men from the photo on the forum?

My home town was a recruitment area for the 7th.

Regards,

Ronnie.

Ronnie (& 0thers)

the names are;

Sgt S Buckley

Sgt J Bolton

Sgt W Butler

Sgt Drummer E Gilduff

Arm Sgt R Bell

Lc Sgt C E Johnson

Sgt Cook A Tyrer

Lc Sgt R Woods

Lc Sgt W H Jones

Sgt J Edwards

Sgt F R Ellis

Sgt E Westmorland

Lc Sgt W F Murphy

Lc Sgt H Baker

Sgt C R Houghton

Sgt R Cookson

Sgt H G Willis

Lc Sgt A Molyneaux

Sgt T Nevanas

Sgt F T Evans

Sgt R S Crossley

Sgt B Scarland

Lc Sgt G G Wyther

CQMS E Riley

CQMS E Sharrock

CQMS J Tomlins

Sgt G Hennesey

Sgt W Pennington

Lc Sgt T G Jones

Sgt W B Green

CSM R Bolan

Major C D Meyer

RSM J Owen

Lieut Coln J W Slater V.D.

Capt & Adj G Bingham

RQMS P Peart

CSM W Barrie

CSM W Reekie

CSM W Hotchkiss

Sgt A C Griffin

Sgt H Todd

on the back in pencil is the name 'Peart' and 4/6 which i assume was the price, which seems a bit dear!

Several years ago I had a quick look through 'Soldiers Died' and found possible idents on Lance Sergeant William Murphy 305486 1st/8th Bat on the Thiepval memorial & Sgt William Jones 357073 1st/10th Bat on the Tyne Cot Memorial.

Any info on any of the men listed would be gratfully recieved.

regards,

Scottie.

post-63-1114274453.jpgI attach ( a not very good ) photo of the officers of the 1/ 7th Kings liverpools dated Christmas 1918.

Of interest is the wide variety of uniforms and insignia being worn.No two officers appear to be wearing the same colour shirt and tie and there is a wide variety of cap and collar badges including a collar badge worn in the cap.Some of the officers service dress collar badges appear to have the bronze finish polished off.Some officers as late as December 1918 are still wearing cuff rank tunics

Please let me know if you would like a better scan and I will e mail it to you

Peter Brydon

peter.brydon@btinternet.com

Peter,

would love to see a close up of your picture if you wouldnt mind dropping me an e-mail please, sadly I am still struggling to attach my picture but I am not giving up,

Ken,

tried to copy my picture in town today but the 'super dooper' scanner/copier in the shop was broken,

Cheers,

Scottie.

a.scott252@btinternet.com