Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Chaplain Cuff Rank?

teddyroosevelt

Dear Trenchmates,

I am a retired Anglican Priest who is putting together a 1914-15 Padre's uniform and is wondering if the cuff rank striping was of a different color than the officers of the line? I have heard it was black, purple, AND same as the regular officers. Is there a concensus? Unfortunately, photos are b/w.  As I understand it, the cloth rank was the same as the regular as colored pips/crowns were only colored for WWII.

THANKS! 

Padre Dave

I’ve can’t recall ever seeing a photo of a British Army Chaplain with cuff lace - always plain sleeves, however it’s not my area of expertise.

MB

On 05/02/2024 at 03:22, teddyroosevelt said:

Dear Trenchmates,

I am a retired Anglican Priest who is putting together a 1914-15 Padre's uniform and is wondering if the cuff rank striping was of a different color than the officers of the line? I have heard it was black, purple, AND same as the regular officers. Is there a concensus? Unfortunately, photos are b/w.  As I understand it, the cloth rank was the same as the regular as colored pips/crowns were only colored for WWII.

THANKS! 

Padre Dave

The facing colour for uniform trim at that time was black** (it changed to purple between the wars).  There is a full, illustrated thread on chaplains uniforms at the following link.  The cuff rank doesn’t seem to have lasted in use very long at all and the photo posted by Teddy Roosevelt above is the only image I’ve ever seen of it in use: 

**a colour shared with the Indian Medical Service (surgeons) and once the RAMC too.  As all three were concerned with mortality it seems likely that was originally a link between them.  See:https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/ww1-british-army-chaplains-service-dress-tunic-688-c-2ba47ffa3b

IMG_2299.jpeg

IMG_2313.jpeg

IMG_1193.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Teddy’s photo shows a true Non-Conformist! -  the  Methodist Chaplain, Reverend Owen Spencer Watkins - Honorary Chaplin to the Forces Third Class, attached to the 14th Field Ambulance with the BEF in 1914, later to serve as an officer in the Pay Corps.

Rather than dress as an exception to the rule, I’d suggest that Teddy sticks with the standard uniform for Anglican Chaplains holding temporary army commissions and follow the examples shown on the Lambeth Palace website.

https://monumentoffame.org/2017/01/20/the-first-world-war-and-army-chaplains/

MB

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The cuff rank doesn’t seem to have lasted in use very long at all and the photo posted by Teddy Roosevelt above is the only image I’ve ever seen of it in use: 

The picture below, from the IWM's collection, was taken on Whit Monday 1915, so I think that you are correct FS in saying that the cuff rank did not last very long.  IWM ref  109197 captioned “Conference of Chaplains, Gallipoli Peninsula, Whit Monday, 24 May 1915. … ...”

image.jpeg.974bd2408f37fea1514de357329db8fb.jpeg

9 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

The picture below, from the IWM's collection, was taken on Whit Monday 1915, so I think that you are correct FS in saying that the cuff rank did not last very long.  IWM ref  109197 captioned “Conference of Chaplains, Gallipoli Peninsula, Whit Monday, 24 May 1915. … ...”

image.jpeg.974bd2408f37fea1514de357329db8fb.jpeg

Yes that’s certainly quite early on Michael, isn’t it.  A great photo!  A flight, gaggle, or surplice of chaplains? :hypocrite:

Edited by FROGSMILE