Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Odd marking on 1913 bayonet

navydoc16

Bit of help required, has anyone seen or know the origin of this mark on the pommel? 

was found on a ww1 dated 1913 bayonet.

similar placement to a lot of Australian, Canadian and South African acceptance stamps

kind regards

g

0FA38959-C391-4214-9463-C83F7F7295AD.jpeg

Edited by navydoc16

Who is the maker of the bayonet?

Chris

4 minutes ago, 4thGordons said:

Who is the maker of the bayonet?

Chris

Remington 

That is a strange one ... and not something that I have seen before. The only M marking that I can think of was in regard to South African issue weapons, but probably not related.?

Shame we can't tell from the stamping if it is actually M in a square, or if it is the M in a letter U. If it were to be a U that would add weight to the South African connection. 

Cheers,  SS 

1 hour ago, shippingsteel said:

That is a strange one ... and not something that I have seen before. The only M marking that I can think of was in regard to South African issue weapons, but probably not related.?

Shame we can't tell from the stamping if it is actually M in a square, or if it is the M in a letter U. If it were to be a U that would add weight to the South African connection. 

Cheers,  SS 

Can’t be a U given that the 3 angles of the square are complete, certainly one I have not seen before 

The US Enfield Bayonet Book by Daniel Jay Morrison has a short notation on the M within a square on the Remington bayonets , little to no information has been found . I have two in my collection both are marked on the blade as well , another with a mark unknown is a R within a Triangle . ( I have both types) . sorry I can't be of more help but it appears there is currently no Information known .   

1 hour ago, 3rd FCE said:

The US Enfield Bayonet Book by Daniel Jay Morrison has a short notation on the M within a square on the Remington bayonets , little to no information has been found . I have two in my collection both are marked on the blade as well , another with a mark unknown is a R within a Triangle . ( I have both types) . sorry I can't be of more help but it appears there is currently no Information known .   

Thankyou so much, perhaps some sort of subcontractor - likely lost to time if Morrison couldn't find out. Bayonet is dated 1917 so not particularly early or late in production run. Appreciate the help.

Kind regards,

G