Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Earls Colne Essex

Guest samanthabuk

Guest samanthabuk

I am currently researching my family history and am desperately trying to find out some information relating to Earls Colne in Essex. In 1914/1915 soldiers were billeted to stay with local families. I have been told that someone beleives the soldiers were part of the Northamptonshire regiment but I cannot find anything to confirm this. I really need to know why the soldiers were billeted there and what regiment/battalion they were? Can anyone help??

Many Thanks

Samantha

I am currently researching my family history and am desperately trying to find out some information relating to Earls Colne in Essex.  In 1914/1915 soldiers were billeted to stay with local families. I have been told that someone beleives the soldiers were part of the Northamptonshire regiment but I cannot find anything to confirm this. I really need to know why the soldiers were billeted there and what regiment/battalion they were? Can anyone help??

Many Thanks

Samantha

The 6th Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment,were part of the 18th Division,billeted in the Colchester area{Earls Colne is around there I believe?}in 1914

Guest samanthabuk

Thanks so much for your reply. I have been contacted by somebody else who advises that the 6th service battalion which was part of the 54th brigade and were listed around Colchester and outlying villages. The battalion you mention is it part of the 6th service battalion or is this a different regiment?

Also would you have any suggestions as to how to find out individual soldiers names that were billeted to Earls Colne. I've drawn a blank so far?

Many Thanks Sam

The 6th Battalion the Northamptonshire Regiment,were part of the 18th Division,billeted in the Colchester area{Earls Colne is around there I believe?}in 1914