Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mysterious badge

Jonner

I'm completely baffled by this curious cap badge in the form of sanserif capital letters S and T superimposed to form a monogram. It is unusually plain for a British Army badge and the letter forms are very crudely executed. It seems to have been rather unskillfully cut out of an approx. 2mm thick flat brass plate before a slider was soldered on. I would be very grateful for any suggestions as to what it might be.

20230930_104145.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jonner said:

I'm completely baffled by this curious cap badge in the form of sanserif capital letters S and T superimposed to form a monogram. It is unusually plain for a British Army badge and the letter forms are very crudely executed. It seems to have been rather unskillfully cut out of an approx. 2mm thick flat brass plate before a slider was soldered on. I would be very grateful for any suggestions as to what it might be.

20230930_104145.jpg

Supply and Transport I think.  This was the abbreviation that delineated the twin roles of the Army Service Corps and was also one of several titles for that function’s predecessor corps and departments.  It endured in use in the British-Indian Army, whose own service corps was not created until post war, so S&T was used throughout WW1.  I don’t know for sure what the badge might’ve been used for.  Perhaps a pagri, but that’s just my conjecture.

IMG_2290.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE