Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAFM & Art Detectives

I spotted this 'Who is the Artist?' discussion on ART UK. It started in May 202. Their Art detetctive work takes a long time and the topic is still running.

My only interest is in the ID of the aircraft, the RAFM have IDd it as a Morane-Saulnier Type BB.

The topic has run to 81 posts with an awful lot of detail including an ID of who piloted this craft.

There's a lot to read and attachements to view but basically the aircraft is over Mametz wood in a dogfight. The tail number A183 does link to a Morane-Saulnier Type BB.

Every so often someone points out that the configuration of the pilot/observer and the weaponry is all wrong for a Morane-Saulnier Type BB.

Far be it for me to suggest the RAFM have mis-IDd an aircraft but surely the craft matches the configuration for a single pilot Martynside G100/G120.

It's been pointed out that the craft is missing its port undercarrige. Could this be a nod to Sydney 'crasher' Smith who flew a Martynside with 27RFC?

Is anyone here an ART Detective?

TEW

I'm sure I've seen VERY similar artwork depicted in a recent-ish issue of Cross & Cockade. Possibly even the issues where they covered the RFC service of the Moranes?

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/02/2024 at 18:22, quemerford said:

I'm sure I've seen VERY similar artwork depicted in a recent-ish issue of Cross & Cockade. Possibly even the issues where they covered the RFC service of the Moranes?

If you follow the ArtUK topic there are similar examples in the linked attachments.

There's this one in Illustrated London News

And another also showing Mametz Wood

The known pilot of A183 was Captain Charles Frederick Algernon Portal although the timeframe for Portal to be flying a BB over Mametz is all wrong (apprently).

And of course the OP was about Who is the artist not who is the pilot.

TEW

The drawings that I published in CCI were produced by Tom Oliver, ex 1 Sqn RFC, later instructor with 34RS/TS and then KIA with 29 Squadron. Oliver, too, shows both reward facing and overwing Lewis guns, as well as the observer sat facing forward, although he could turn to use the aft gun.  The drawings published were two of a Morane Biplane and one each of a Morane Type LA and a Nieuport 20. Example attached.

51.1200.JPG