Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Black Watch

Mark Hone

Does any Pal have a copy of the history of 9th Black Watch by Wauchope (didn't he used to play for Man City) ? It is referred to in 'British Battalions on the Somme'. In particular I am trying to flesh out the details I have of the battalion's attack on High Wood.

Strangely enough, the member called 9th Black Watch aka Derek has one. He was going to look High Wood up for me too (my great-uncle was there in 9th BW), but I told him no hurry... Silly of me!

Now there's 2 of us looking for info, we may just prompt him to transcribe the war diary!

Anyway, if you seem to merely mention the words 9th Black Watch, Derek seems to appear as if by magic...

Steve

Hi Mark,

I have a copy of Wauchope's 'History' Vol. III. The following is a more comprehensive account of the attack taken from the War Diary. Several soldiers were decorated for gallantry including Pte. Thomas Beattie who earned a bar to his MM and Pte. W.L. Cobban, D.C.M.

If I can help with any other details just get in touch. My great grandfather, Pte. John Patrick, was a member of the 9th Battn., and was killed in action the following day - 9 September 1916.

All the best,

Derek

8 SEPTEMBER 1916

During the night A Coy was relieved by B & C Coys in BETHELL SAP. Work was carried out under M.G. fire preparing a jumping off trench from which to attack an enemy trench outside N.W. corner of HIGH WOOD. At 5.30 am enemy aeroplane flew low overhead and saw the trench packed with men.

All day the F.L.S. was in consequence bombarded, and the trenches much knocked about, but the casualties were small. 2/Lieut. J. N. HUMBLE and 2/Lieut. J. E. DRUMMOND were slightly wounded. At 6.30 pm after a 6 hours bombardment B Coy under Capt. STIRLING manned the jumping off trench with D Coy Capt BRUCE in support. The attack on the enemy trench was successfully carried out, about 70 Germans being killed and 30 taken prisoners. The advance was made in conjunction with a larger attack by 3rd Brigade, 1st Division on our Right. 2 machine guns were captured and disabled, as it was impossible to remove them during the action. Consolidation of the captured trench was at once started and a commencement was made by D Coy at linking up with our front line by means of 2 C.Ts R. & L. About 7.50 p.m. the 1st GLOUCESTER regt. On our R. fell back and attacked on both flanks and in front our men had to fall back on their original line. The retirement was carried out with slight loss. A heavy counter attack was driven off with serious enemy losses about 7.30 pm by our L.G. fire. Capt. R. STIRLING & Capt W. B. BINNIE were wounded and Lieut. J. B. IRELAND was missing, believed wounded. 24 O.R. Killed, 14 missing & 59 wounded. Total 100. Our L.G’s during the night inflicted considerable losses on parties of the enemy & snipers were active amongst the shell holes. A heavy bombardment of our front trenches was kept up till 11.30 pm & of our support & reserve lines till 4.00 am. One L.G. was knocked out by a direct hit from a shell.

Hi Steve,

Your wish is my command :D

I'd just finished transcribing the details the other day.

Cheers,

Derek

What did I say!

How much money did you get for your role as the shopkeeper in Mr Benn, Derek?

Steve

Thanks very much. The reason I ask is that one of our school old boys, Corporal Earl Singleton was killed in the attack (or rather the German counter-attack, as it turns out). I have just received a photograph and very full newspaper obituary of him courtesy of Blackburn Local History Library. He is commemorated on Thiepval. His only brother Gerald Singleton of the Cheshires died a year later and is commemorated on Tyne Cot. We shall be visiting the site of the Black Watch attack, or as near as we can get anyway, on our Somme commemeration tour next year.

Hi Mark,

If you get an opportunity would it be possible to copy the article and photograph? I'd be really interested in seeing them.

All the best,

Derek

Please send me your contact details by e-mail and I shall be delighted to post you a copy. The obituary is extremely full. Perhaps tellingly when his brother died the next year there only appears to be a brief mention in the local paper.

Hi Derek,

Know its a long shot. Any mention of 240524 Pte Sylvester Robertson? Formerly 1/5th and 4th/5th Battalions.

Rgds

Tim

Sorry Tim,

No mention I'm afraid.

All the best,

Derek

Cheers Derek,

Much appreciated.

Rgds

Tim