Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BELT - is it military and does it hold unit clues?

tamiwell

Hello everyone,

I have a photograph of a man wearing an interesting belt and I was wondering if it might hold any army unit details?  Does anyone recognise the lettering on it?  He was labelled as GW Harper, a 'colonial' on the photograph, however there was only one GW Harper in the AIF and I have just discovered (through research and contact with family who hold photographs of this man) that it is not the same man.  I was wondering whether he might be from another country such as NZ, South Africa, or Canada....or even British.  The writing on the back could have been a mistake.  To me, it looks like there might be a NADA on one side.....Canada???  Thank you!  

BELT mystery Colonial.jpg

Edited by tamiwell

Just a little note, I did find a GW Harper online who served with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915 when he was involved in a court martial (number 400122) but I don't have any experience researching Canadian soldiers.  A full name wasn't given.  If it is him, I'm not sure if he was still serving and in hospital in the UK in August 1916.....I could be barking up the wrong tree, unless the belt is definitely Canadian

1 hour ago, tamiwell said:

Hello everyone,

I have a photograph of a man wearing an interesting belt and I was wondering if it might hold any army unit details?  Does anyone recognise the lettering on it?  He was labelled as GW Harper, a 'colonial' on the photograph, however there was only one GW Harper in the AIF and I have just discovered (through research and contact with family who hold photographs of this man) that it is not the same man.  I was wondering whether he might be from another country such as NZ, South Africa, or Canada....or even British.  The writing on the back could have been a mistake.  To me, it looks like there might be a NADA on one side.....Canada???  Thank you!  

It’s a typical souvenir type belt tamiwell (collectors sometimes call them hate belts which is a misnomer) and doesn’t indicate that the wearer is from a particular unit.  Basically they were simple canvas belts, sometimes with leather pockets stitched on to them.  Soldiers purchased them to hold up their very high waisted trousers whose top sat just below the rib cage.  Braces (aka suspenders) were issued, but they were unelasticated and so when undertaking physical labour men often shrugged them off to free their shoulders and the belts held the trousers up.  It became popular to collect badges from other soldiers and fasten them to the belts.  Some men also fixed on German or other insignia too.  In this case I think you’re right that there’s CANADA on one side and there’s RF CITY OF LONDON** on the other.

**This was a London Regiment TF Royal Fusiliers unit (1st to 4th London’s) from which the T and grenade has been clipped off.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Wow that's great to know, thank you!  I love thinking that he had been collecting badges from friends and fastening them to his belt!  

13 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

Wow that's great to know, thank you!  I love thinking that he had been collecting badges from friends and fastening them to his belt!  

Here’s an example.

IMG_1753.jpeg

7 minutes ago, tamiwell said:

Probably these ones?

canada badge.jpg

city of london badge.jpg

Yes, but this type of CANADA rather than the solid version.

IMG_2226.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, tamiwell said:

Just a little note, I did find a GW Harper online who served with the Canadian Army Medical Corps in 1915 when he was involved in a court martial (number 400122) but I don't have any experience researching Canadian soldiers. 

Canadian service records are available to view online free of charge.  

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Here’s an example.

IMG_1753.jpeg

Yes, but this type of CANADA rather than the solid version.

IMG_2226.jpeg

Thanks Frogsmile!

On 01/02/2024 at 09:43, tamiwell said:

Thanks Frogsmile!

I’m glad to help, the belts can often be spotted in photos and take many variations.  Here you can see one under a soldier’s jacket.  Note the black soldier on the end.  Also a man in short sleeves with one proudly on display.

IMG_7676.jpeg

IMG_2441.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, tamiwell said:

Great photo!

Yes it’s become a particular favourite of mine as it  has a number of interesting features.  I’m glad you like it, I can’t recall its origin.

10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it’s become a particular favourite of mine as it  has a number of interesting features.  I’m glad you like it, I can’t recall its origin.

Another from my collection. 👍

2 hours ago, tamiwell said:

A wider shot/less cropped photo might help with more context.

If you wish to explore Canadian soldiers then you really should try Libraries and Archives Canada https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/search.aspx [Usually starts with an Attestation page but if you search the web page there is usually a link to the fuller file as a PDF - often very long and detailed]

M

Edit: GW HARPER, 400122, CEF = Gordon Walker HARPER https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/military-heritage/first-world-war/personnel-records/Pages/item.aspx?IdNumber=442401

Edited by Matlock1418
edit

20 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Another from my collection. 👍

Thank you, I know I did ask if I might keep a copy specifically as an example of the belt in use (I hadn’t spotted the black man at the time) and I appreciated your generosity.🙏

55 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you, I know I did ask if I might keep a copy specifically as an example of the belt in use (I hadn’t spotted the black man at the time) and I appreciated your generosity.🙏

You’re more than welcome to use any of my pictures for research/illustrative purposes.  

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

You’re more than welcome to use any of my pictures for research/illustrative purposes.  

I have always appreciated your generosity and use any that I’ve retained only for those purposes.  It’s a privilege to be able to share my interest with you and others here.

I doubt that the soldiers cared much where the badges came from. My uncle (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry) brought one back from Dunkirk and explained that he had collected the badges from the dead around the beachead.

I owned such a belt as a lad during WW II: my serving uncles and serving father collected for me. The cap badges formed the basis of my collection in later years. Several of my peer group sported them, with snake buckle and indeed a little leather purse. I can close my eyes and see it now.

I have a couple acquired over the years the top one on a broad belt as described above - the lower using a German leather belt. I also have an 08 web belt with badges but don't have a pic to hand.

Belt2.jpg.e66541e3d526e9e86f3572ac9f20a36b.jpg

post-14525-0-34555900-1318089873.jpg

3 hours ago, PhilB said:

I doubt that the soldiers cared much where the badges came from. My uncle (Fife and Forfar Yeomanry) brought one back from Dunkirk and explained that he had collected the badges from the dead around the beachead.

My wife grandfather did the same in the desert. We have loads of German insignia in an album and sewn on a scarf - he even wrote home saying how he had liberated them from dead soldiers who didn’t need them anymore (in more colourful language than that!)