Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Uniform Details of Great Grandfather

SeminoleOne

Hello, 

I have recently discovered that my great grandfather was in the Sanitary Detachment, 304th Field Signal Battalion (enlisted-Private) which to my understanding was with the 79th Division.  Records indicate that he made it into theatre in June 1918, participate in Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector.  Got on a ship stateside in May 1919 and Honorably discharged in June 1919.  I would like to find a WWI tunic to display with my grandfather's (son-in-law of great grandfather) items from WWII.  I could use your help with determining what the proper shoulder insignia should be as well as collar discs?  I look forward to learning from all of you and appreciate your help and consideration.    

6 hours ago, SeminoleOne said:

Hello, 

I have recently discovered that my great grandfather was in the Sanitary Detachment, 304th Field Signal Battalion (enlisted-Private) which to my understanding was with the 79th Division.  Records indicate that he made it into theatre in June 1918, participate in Meuse-Argonne; Defensive Sector.  Got on a ship stateside in May 1919 and Honorably discharged in June 1919.  I would like to find a WWI tunic to display with my grandfather's (son-in-law of great grandfather) items from WWII.  I could use your help with determining what the proper shoulder insignia should be as well as collar discs?  I look forward to learning from all of you and appreciate your help and consideration.    

Hi SeminoleOne.

Welcome to the forum. looking at the images of enlisted men in Company C, 304th Field Signal Battalion, 79th Division they wear the crossed flags collar discs. I believe it would make no difference what detachment of the battalion your Great Grandfather was in, the fact he was in a Signals battalion would determine the disc worn.

The image is Private Lawrence R Cambell of the 304th.

Gunner

E822FE14-264D-4057-8C74-DAC78A88B2F2_4_5005_c.jpeg

The collar disks described by gunner87 looked like this. 

IMG_2222.jpeg

IMG_2223.jpeg

IMG_2221.jpeg

IMG_2220.jpeg

IMG_2224.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you for the help.  This is excellent.  Shoulder insignia would have come post war? and would they have worn the 79th insignia ? 

Thank you for your patience.  My collecting and knowledge is mostly Marine Corps based.  

3C1A9442-FBB1-4592-8F94-812440CCF547.jpeg

1 hour ago, SeminoleOne said:

Thank you for the help.  This is excellent.  Shoulder insignia would have come post war? and would they have worn the 79th insignia ? 

Thank you for your patience.  My collecting and knowledge is mostly Marine Corps based.  

I looked at the images in the history of Company C, 304th Field Signal Battalion, 79th Division and was unable to see a Divisional patch / SSI but this maybe because the soldiers had their photographs taken before May 1918 when the first patch was worn by the 81st Division and prior to other units adopted the practice. If the 304th wore a patch it would have been the Cross of Lorraine as you have posted. 

1 hour ago, Gunner 87 said:

I looked at the images in the history of Company C, 304th Field Signal Battalion, 79th Division and was unable to see a Divisional patch / SSI but this maybe because the soldiers had their photographs taken before May 1918 when the first patch was worn by the 81st Division and prior to other units adopted the practice. If the 304th wore a patch it would have been the Cross of Lorraine as you have posted. 

Like you I think it unlikely that a Divisional sign was worn before the subject was demobilised.  For many units such things only really took off during the period of post war occupation.

Bay Sate Militaria has a good inventory of U.S. insignia and uniforms usually at reasonable prices. That might be a good place to look for the items you are seeking.

24 minutes ago, gordon92 said:

Bay Sate Militaria has a good inventory of U.S. insignia and uniforms usually at reasonable prices. That might be a good place to look for the items you are seeking.

Thank you 

14 hours ago, SeminoleOne said:

There are vanishingly few pictures of divisional patches prior to the armistice - but after the armistice and by the time units returned stateside they were almost universal and most tunics which men were issued with to be worn at demobilization (along with the red "honorable discharge" chevron sewn on the lower sleeve). Most divisional designs were not approved until after the armistice

The patch you show (the cross of Lorraine)  was the 79th Div patch (the example you show is a very nice one made of bullion wire there are much simpler ones made of felt cut outs and/or regular embroidery)

The 304th Signal Battn are listed in the Orbat as "Divisional Troops" so not attached to a particular brigade

Just FYI the 79th Division's movements were:

July 6th Division moved to Port of Embarkation (Brooklyn NY)

July 8-10 sailed for Brest (Fr)

July 31 Artillery and 304 Supply Train landed in England and then proceeded to Le Havre and Cherbourg (Fr)

July 19-29 Division (less artillery and 304 supply train) moved to the 10th Prauthoy Fr Training area

Aug 5 154th FA and 304 Ammunition Train moved to artillery training area at Montmorillion

Sept 6 Artillery moved to La Courtine

Sept 8 Division (less Artillery) moved to Robert-Espagne Area

Sept 15-25 Division (less Artillery) occupied Avocourt Sector (Lorraine)

Sept 26-30 Division participated in Meuse-Argonne Offensive

Sept 26 Division attacked towards Montfaucon and the Bois de Cunel - captured Harcourt and Malancourte

Sept 27 Division captured Montfaucon

Sept 28 Division captured Nantillois and Wood 268

Sept 30th Division was relieved and assembled near Malancourt

Oct 8-26 Division (less artillery) occupied the Troyon Sector

Oct 26-Nov 11 Division (less artillery) reengaged in Meuse-Argonne operations

Oct 26 Division near Dieu sur Meuse

Nov 3-4 Division advanced to Hill 370 and 378

Nov 7th Division reached Vaux-Rougieux Ravine

Nov 9-11 Division  captured Crepion, Wavrille, Gilberey and Ville-devant-Chaumont and reached the Gibercy-Ville-devant -Chaumont line

Division spent 28 days in quiet sectors and 17 days in active sectors and suffered 1419 KIA and 5,331 wounded

Nov 12-May 11th Division was in Souilly and Rimacourt areas before moving to St Nazaire for transport to USA

Last units arrived in NY on June 11th and Division Demobilized at Camp Dix NY shortly thereafter.

Tunics with signal corps insignia are relatively common (as are insignia free tunics to which you could attaching signal corps collar disks also relatively easy to find) if you are looking to find a 79th Division patched tunic with signal corps disks on you might need to be prepared for a long search!

Chris