Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Platoon and Section numbering?

theodore

A Company split into platoons and then a platoon split into sections. So A, B, C  and D Companies are all split into Platoons,  A Company being numbered 1 2 3 4  B Company 5 6 7 8 C Company 9 10 11 12 and D Company 13 14 16 16. How are the sections identified? Numbers, letters?

Regards

Peter

Hi Theodore, 

Different battalions may have done different things but I've encountered numbering sections by company; i.e. No 5 Section, No 2 Platoon, A Company. No 3 Platoon sections numbered 9 - 12, No 4 Platoon 13 - 16 etc. B Coy No 5 Platoon starts again with 1-4.

There were likely variations as there were with Coy letters (2nd Scots Guards used RF, F, G and LF Coys) and as the war progressed (by 1917) sections became more technical and role specific; a platoon commander would have a section of bombers and others of riflemen, Lewis gunners and rifle grenadiers rather than numbered rifle sections.

Regards

Colin

On 31/01/2024 at 18:44, theodore said:

A Company split into platoons and then a platoon split into sections. So A, B, C  and D Companies are all split into Platoons,  A Company being numbered 1 2 3 4  B Company 5 6 7 8 C Company 9 10 11 12 and D Company 13 14 16 16. How are the sections identified? Numbers, letters?

Regards

Peter

The normal structure after 1913 for regular battalions (1915 for TF**) was:

A Company - 1 , 2, 3, and 4 platoon. Sections A to D.

B Company - 5, 6, 7, and 8 platoon. Sections ditto.

C Company - 9, 10, 11 and 12 platoon. Sections ditto.

D Company - 13, 14, 15, and 16 platoon. Sections ditto.

Caveat.  Some battalions favoured W, X, Y and Z Companies, but the remainder of the breakdown was the same as above.  Some others numbered their companies 1, 2, 3, 4.  Also some Foot Guards used Right Flank and Left Flank as their first and last company, respectively.  Again the remaining breakdown stayed extant, e.g. No 1 Company, 1 Platoon, D Section.  Sometimes Roman numerals were used to designate platoons, i.e. XX Platoon instead of 20 Platoon.

Edited by FROGSMILE

In the AIF is was -

A Company - I, II, III, and IV platoon. Sections 1 to 4.

B Company - V, VI, VII, and VIII platoon. Sections ditto.

C Company - IX, X, XI and XII platoon. Sections ditto.

D Company - XIII, XIV, XV, and XVI platoon. Sections ditto.

I don't believe there was any variation to the above, but would be interested to know of any examples.

Dan

3 hours ago, Fromelles said:

In the AIF is was -

A Company - I, II, III, and IV platoon. Sections 1 to 4.

B Company - V, VI, VII, and VIII platoon. Sections ditto.

C Company - IX, X, XI and XII platoon. Sections ditto.

D Company - XIII, XIV, XV, and XVI platoon. Sections ditto.

I don't believe there was any variation to the above, but would be interested to know of any examples.

Dan

Not hugely different I guess Dan, as it’s just using Roman instead of European numbers for the platoons.  Interesting all the same though.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 04/02/2024 at 00:15, FROGSMILE said:

Not hugely different I guess Dan, as it’s just using Roman instead of European numbers for the platoons.

No suggestion it was, just providing an answer to the OP

Dan

Edited by Fromelles

31 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

No suggestion it was, just providing an answering to the OP

Dan

Understood.  👍

• 2 months later...

I'd like to make an adjustment to the information I provided above. I'm not sure where I got that information from, but it's not correct.

It should read -

A Company - I, II, III, and IV Platoon - Sections 1 to 16 (4 sections per platoon).

B Company - V, VI, VII, and VIII Platoon - Sections ditto.

C Company - IX, X, XI and XII Platoon - Sections ditto.

D Company - XIII, XIV, XV, and XVI Platoon - Sections ditto.

Dan