Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Death Scroll Pte Alexander Bryce Cameron Highlanders— Advice re disposal

petermuir

I inherited the above death stroll from my grandfather's estate. The Bryce family name was linked to the Bonnington name through a second marriage of my great grandfather Robert Bonnington after his wife died.

I now wish to find a proper home for this scroll. I offered it to a Bryce family descendant. Initially she was keen but then never followed it up..

To sell it is distasteful to me as I feel that this would be profiting from the dead.

A quandary.

Grateful to receive advice and guidance of forum members.

great war commemorative death scroll  .jpg

Peter,

If it were mine, and I didn’t have room to frame and display, and with all other avenues exhausted I would very reluctantly sell.
If it was sold to a collector it would be researched and cherished, not just forgotten about…so in a way he is still remembered. I totally understand your feeling about this, but any money could be donated to a worthwhile cause that you and your family would feel appropriate.

Best of luck.

Dave..

2 hours ago, Dave66 said:

[...] If it was sold to a collector it would be researched and cherished, not just forgotten about…so in a way he is still remembered.

[...]any money could be donated to a worthwhile cause that you and your family would feel appropriate.

Thx Dave. Points well made.

Best wishes

Peter

Grateful for advice of offering this item to any interested forum member.

I don't need payment as such but maybe cost of postage.

I don't want to breach forum rules.

Best wishes

Peter

6 hours ago, petermuir said:

The Bryce family name was linked to the Bonnington name through a second marriage of my great grandfather Robert Bonnington after his wife died.

From pension records at WFA/Fold3:

Robert BONNINGTON appears to have lost his son George BONNINGTON, 30435, Highland Light Infantry

Bella BRYCE lost her son Alexander BRYCE, 16344, Cameron Highlanders

I hope they found consoling comfort in each other.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo