Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sanctuary Wood / Plumer Road

vickersms

I am currently researching my Great-Grandfather Sjt Joseph Vickers MM, 14th Northumberland Fusiliers (Pioneers).

14th NF were the divisional pioneers for 21st Division. Joseph Vickers was killed on 20th July 1917. The Battalion War Diary has the following entry:

20/9/19 - Batallion commenced work as detailed in O.O. No 4. Owing to hostile shelling of roads approaching SANCTUARY WOOD companies were delayed and were unable to arrive at the work until 12 noon. PLUMER ROAD was taped and the work of the companies consisted in draining, clearing debris, felling trees, preparing and marking formation as shown in progress diagram No 1 (unfortunately not in the war diary). Approximate length of road 1600x, casualties 3 OR killed, 14 OR wounded.

More detail appears later

24/9/17 - Battalion continued with construction of PLUMER ROAD in southern portion of Sanctuary Wood from approximately I 24 b 80 25 to I 24 c 6 3

Can anyone help with the exact location of Plumer Road? I don't have any trench maps of the area at the moment.

Many thanks in advance for any help or advice.

I 24 b 80 25 to I 24 c 6 3

Can anyone help with the exact location of Plumer Road? I don't have any trench maps of the area at the moment.

CLICK HERE and you'll go to a webpage that shows (at the moment) Sanctuary Wood on two trenchmap extracts. The April 1917 one shows the whole of square I 24, and the August 1916 extract shows most of it. You should be able to work out your locations on these.

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
CLICK HERE and you'll go to a webpage that shows (at the moment) Sanctuary Wood on two trenchmap extracts. The April 1917 one shows the whole of square I 24, and the August 1916 extract shows most of it. You should be able to work out your locations on these.

Dave.

These scans are perfect. Many thanks.