Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New member: DLI and NF

Guest Frederick Peterson

Guest Frederick Peterson

Hi all:

What a great site, I can't believe I have never landed here until now.

My current interest concerns 2nd Ypres and particularly the tragically short participation of the 1/8 DLI which seems to have been airbrushed out of recent accounts. My grandfather fell on 26.4.15 and appears on the Menin Gate. His younger brother was KIA in March 1916 while with the 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers.

I believe that all six of my other paternal great-uncles also saw active duty and I'm trying to trace all their service records as part of a larger family history project.

This site looks like it will be great resource!

Welcome to the forum,

My grandfather served in the 8 Durhams taken prisoner on the 27th May 1918. If you need any look ups in respect of Veitch's history ask.

Regards

David

Frederick

Welcome to the forum, and I hope you have as many happy and fruitful hours online here as most of us seem to have!

Why not post some details of your grandfather, so we can all read about him. Any queries about him? I'm sure a new post in "soldiers" will bear fruit!

Stephen

Frederick

Welcome.

My interest is also 2nd Ypres and Northumberland Fusiliers.

The 4th, 5th, 6th & 7th Northumberland Fusiliers left England 90 years ago today. (See other post.) Many of them fell on that afternoon, 26th April 1915 in the Battle of St. Julien, just six days later.

Their names are on the Menin Gate, alongside that of your granddad.

Kate

Guest Frederick Peterson

Thank you David, Stephen and Kate for the kind welcoming words.

I will take the opportunity to post more detail on my grandad and his brothers in the general sections, probably in the next day or so. I will be keeping my fingers crossed that the experts here, including I am pleased to note, a number of Flemish members, will be able to help fill in some of the gaps in what I have learned so far.

Kate - curiously enough I believe the 8/DLI also entrained at Newcastle Central on the same day as the NF, the 19th. What a coincidence that the 26th should be so meaningful for us both.

Edit : I just rechecked, 8/DLI left on the 19th and arrived Boulogne on the 20th.

hi, i too am interested in second ypres, though with the 1/5th bn Yorkshire Regiment, 150th brigade, the NF and DLI are mentioned in their war diary, if i can help just call

Les