Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German postcards 1914-1918

jaei

hello. I have postcards from the war. Example Link to few cards and approx 20 more from Telechany, Brest and Schara. One german soldier is identified.

Whats the story behind the postcards? Who made them and for what purpose?

I can post more cards if of interest and would be greatful if translation from German to English and military comments. 

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Top left has a caption saying "Farms of Russian peasants". There is no other text on the cards in the link so far as I can see. You mentioned a few locations in your post, which tell me it's somewhere in the current Belarus, the historical region of Polesia: Brest is a well-known town, Telechany is now Tsyelyakhany (52°30′26″N 25°50′32″E), Schara must be the river of Shchara, flowing through the same region. The man on the top right card looks like a cook inside of a kitchen, probably in one of the 'farms'. Middle left is obviously the ruins of a farm, where one can see the people sitting on the remnants of their homes. These photos must have been taken after the summer of 1915, when this territory was taken by the Germans after the great retreat of the Russian army and remained occupied till 1918. Attached is a German card saying that before the war Brest had 56000 inhabitants and was burned down and is now abandoned.

original.jpg