Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Jolly Good War

Wexflyer

While the Great War was a disaster for untold millions, and terminal for millions of others, there were those lucky few who came out of the war better than they went in. I am thinking not of successful military leaders granted peerages or grants from parliament, but ordinary men - working class men in fact.

Here is an example of a man who started off as a common soldier, who ended  up after the war owning a Georgian country house and estate. Somewhat contrary to the usual picture.

I give you John Barnwell. Born 7/3/1885 outside of Birr, Co. Offaly, the son of a carpenter.

1885 Birth registration for John Barnwell

In the 1901 census, he is with his father, now shown as a publican, in Birr.

By 1911, he is absent from the Irish census, having joined the BA as a private soldier in the Leinster regiment. His father reverted to a carpenter on the 1911 census.

During the war, John rose to the rank of major, and was awarded the DSO. He ended his days in the BA commanding the depot in his native Birr.

After the war, he bought a 30+ room Georgian mansion, Kilmannock House, Co. Wexford, on over 200 acres of prime land. A gentleman's estate.

Kilmannock House

Edited by Wexflyer

• Admin

Whilst exceptional I dare say he was not the only one who had a jolly good war.  There must be many more examples.
The plight of officers promoted from the ranks is well documented and researched.  

There is little doubt that for many it was the defining experience of their lives. The myth of endless suffering promoted by a few middle class poets should be challenged.

PS I can recommend Mary’s Bar in Birr hopefully it is still going a great night out

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

Whilst exceptional I dare say he was not the only one who had a jolly good war.  There must be many more examples.

I posted in this section as I believe he is exceptional in more than one way.  Exceptional in that he ended up living the life of a country  gentleman - certainly.
But also an exception to the commonly told story that ex-British servicemen had to sell up and flee for their lives, etc. This man did precisely the opposite.

Edited by Wexflyer

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

PS I can recommend Mary’s Bar in Birr hopefully it is still going a great night out

Never been to Birr, so I can't comment.

I have been in Kilmannock House. Amazing place, complete with partially completed escape tunnel in the basement, for when the locals arrive with their pikes.

In the 1990s the family had a beautiful flag on display, belonging to the Leinster regiment ex-servicemen's association. It was used to drape the coffins of former members of the regiment, and was modeled on the regimental color. 

Kilmannock House was put on sale by the family in 2022, and was still for sale last fall (2023).

Kilmannock House for Sale - 2022   Notice

Very interesting & thanks for sharing. (Welcome back to the forum by the way!)

As well as taking opportunities due to advancement in the war, I suspect he got a good price for the big house too. With the departure of large number of the Anglo-Irish gentry  in 1922 & 1923, there was a glut of big houses for sale. 

18 hours ago, Jervis said:

As well as taking opportunities due to advancement in the war, I suspect he got a good price for the big house too. With the departure of large number of the Anglo-Irish gentry  in 1922 & 1923, there was a glut of big houses for sale. 

But that's the point. It appears he bought this house at some point prior to October 1921, when his daughter Irma was born there.

- That is well before the campaign of "big house" burning during the Civil War, and predates the Anglo-Irish treaty.

- Even at a discount, a manor house like that would have cost substantially more than, say,  a 3-bed semi in Terenure, or the like....

- Even more so, the property came with 200+ (or 150) acres of prime demesne land. Always worth a very pretty penny.

- At the time of his daughter's 1921 birth registration, his rank is given as captain.

Which brings me to this question - how did he afford it?

He was a carpenter's son, one of 11 children. His wife, also from Birr, was not from an affluent background either.  Most of his army career was as a ranker, and in 1921 he was a captain. Was British Army pay that generous? I don't think so.

Edited by Wexflyer

• Admin

I assume you have seen his obituary 26 March 1976 in the New Ross Standard which reported his 'unexpected death' at 91.  

By this time he had the honorific of 'Major'.  It was noted he had a special interest in horses, was that how he made his money?

It doesn't answer the question as to how he afforded it (and we're perhaps getting a bit off topic for the GWF) but the previous owner was a Major Barrett-Hamilton (Royal Irish Rifles) who left instructions in his will as to the disposal of the estate. In July 1920  the same newspaper reported the auction of the farm and other properties then owned by Joseph O'Neill.  The farm was held under a judicial tenancy with an annual rent to the representatives Barrett-Hamilton  of £77.  

Three bids were submitted but declined and the property was withdrawn.  After the sale a Mr Nolan increased his bid to £2,500 which was again declined . (Bank of England calculator shows cash inflation to be the equivalent of over £92k).

21 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

I assume you have seen his obituary 26 March 1976 in the New Ross Standard which reported his 'unexpected death' at 91.  

By this time he had the honorific of 'Major'.  It was noted he had a special interest in horses, was that how he made his money?

It doesn't answer the question as to how he afforded it (and we're perhaps getting a bit off topic for the GWF) but the previous owner was a Major Barrett-Hamilton (Royal Irish Rifles) who left instructions in his will as to the disposal of the estate. In July 1920  the same newspaper reported the auction of the farm and other properties then owned by Joseph O'Neill.  The farm was held under a judicial tenancy with an annual rent to the representatives Barrett-Hamilton  of £77.  

Three bids were submitted but declined and the property was withdrawn.  After the sale a Mr Nolan increased his bid to £2,500 which was again declined . (Bank of England calculator shows cash inflation to be the equivalent of over £92k).

I have not seen his obituary, but I do know of the interest in horses - which must surely postdate his acquisition of the property.

As for being potentially off-topic - I would have thought that a GW veteran of very modest background acquiring such a property in 1920/21, while still serving in the army would be of general interest. The forum does cover social aspects, does it not. From what you say, he must have come up with a purchase price of £2,500 or more, on a captain's army salary, while supporting a wife and several children.

As for his honorific of major, that was formally correct.
April 1909, married as a sergeant
March 1915, commissioned as 2nd Lt, from company sergeant major
LG, various dates 1916-1919, temporary captain, captain, acting or temporary major. DSO, MC, three mentions in dispatches. 
July 1922 - retired from army as captain, but allowed rank of major - LG
Dec 1922 - regular army reserve, as major - LG

Edited by Wexflyer

I too am at a loss to see how the gallant major could accumulate that kind of cash - unless command of the depot at Birr offered certain advantages?:whistle:

"The plight of officers promoted from the ranks is well documented and researched." A shortage of autobiographies of rankers though?

• Admin
6 hours ago, Wexflyer said:

I would have thought that a GW veteran of very modest background acquiring such a property in 1920/21, while still serving in the army would be of general interest.

I totally agree I find it fascinating but us mods have to be careful :thumbsup: (I'm already thinking about 1928 and the anniversary the Great Pilgrimage.). What happened to the veterans in the twenties and thirties is a very rich (hi)story.  Tales of true crime, suffering but also as here of life changing triumph, some like Graves and others even trying to launch a career from their experience.

But to go back to the gallant Major Barnwell and for the benefit of others who may be interested he was gazetted in 1915 whilst a CSM and living near the Barracks (or Depot) he later commanded.  A promotion described as, "very gratifying to his many friends, as he and his family who have resided for a long time in the neighbourhood of Birr Barracks have proved most popular and respected". Leinster Reporter 20 March 1915.

The previous owners of the house were a very well established family in the county as detailed in the piece previously posted. The house itself would also appear to have a rich military history.

In 1923 Major Barnwell with the assistance of a Captain Henehan M.C. offered his house for a meeting of interested parties who were trying (successfully) to revive the Kilmannock Coursing Club.  The events of this club in the twenties and thirties appear to have been very popular and well reported locally. Major Barnwell easing into the role of country gentleman.  There was much excitement for the inaugural meeting as reported in Wicklow People on February 1924.

What is more interesting for our research is perhaps this extract of the report from the New Ross Standard of the 5 January 1923 not only does it show Major Barnwell at the House but also Captain Henehan is shown as living there.

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 15.31.39.png

This is proving a real rabbit hole (who were Capts Henehan and Clancy?) and I have a really soft spot for Birr which we used as abase for three weeks touring Ireland I may even have visited or seen the house  but duty calls so here is Captain Barnwell's obituary (all images from BNA on FMP)

New Ross Standard 26 March 1976

Not come out too well 

Try again

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 15.48.33.png

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 15.49.22.png

Better

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

I totally agree I find it fascinating but us mods have to be careful :thumbsup: (I'm already thinking about 1928 and the anniversary the Great Pilgrimage.). What happened to the veterans in the twenties and thirties is a very rich (hi)story.  Tales of true crime, suffering but also as here of life changing triumph, some like Graves and others even trying to launch a career from their experience.

But to go back to the gallant Major Barnwell and for the benefit of others who may be interested he was gazetted in 1915 whilst a CSM and living near the Barracks (or Depot) he later commanded.  A promotion described as, "very gratifying to his many friends, as he and his family who have resided for a long time in the neighbourhood of Birr Barracks have proved most popular and respected". Leinster Reporter 20 March 1915.

The previous owners of the house were a very well established family in the county as detailed in the piece previously posted. The house itself would also appear to have a rich military history.

In 1923 Major Barnwell with the assistance of a Captain Henehan M.C. offered his house for a meeting of interested parties who were trying (successfully) to revive the Kilmannock Coursing Club.  The events of this club in the twenties and thirties appear to have been very popular and well reported locally. Major Barnwell easing into the role of country gentleman.  There was much excitement for the inaugural meeting as reported in Wicklow People on February 1924.

What is more interesting for our research is perhaps this extract of the report from the New Ross Standard of the 5 January 1923 not only does it show Major Barnwell at the House but also Captain Henehan is shown as living there.

This is proving a real rabbit hole (who were Capts Henehan and Clancy?) and I have a really soft spot for Birr which we used as abase for three weeks touring Ireland I may even have visited or seen the house  but duty calls so here is Captain Barnwell's obituary (all images from BNA on FMP)

New Ross Standard 26 March 1976

Not come out too well 

Thank you for the additional details, and the BNA extracts, much obliged. I previously had a subscription to the BNA, but let it lapse until I can accumulate a sufficient backlog requiring newspaper checks.  The obituary material fits well with the details from the LG. I would just note that his family was in residence there by October 1921, while the major himself as still at Birr.

Given the size of the manor house, - over 30 rooms - vastly more than required for a single family, I can imagine that they may have allowed other former army officers to board with them, or buy in.   It is also possible that the original demesne lands may have been split and parts sold to others.

in the 1990s, you could stay at Kilmannock House, on a B&B basis.

Finally in the interests of full disclosure, I am not related to the late Major Barnwell, but I am related to some of his descendants.

Edited by Wexflyer

Captain Henehan, noted as co-owner, is probably this officer of the Royal Irish Fusiliers,

Noted in Nov. 1919 LG:
R. Ir. Fus. Temp. Capt. M. Henehan, M.C., relinquishes hie commission on completion of service, 16 Oct. 1919, and retains the rank of Capt.

Noted in July 1918 LG
Temp. Capt. M. Henehan, M.C., from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Capt. 2

Noted in June 1918 LG
Lt. (actg. Capt.) W. .Sparks, M.C8 (Spec. Res.), to be Adjt., and retains his actg. rank, with, pay and alllces. of Lt. while so empld., vice temp. Capt. M. Henehan,
M.C. 3 May 1918.

Feb. 1918 LG
Temp. Capt. M. Henehan, M.C., to be Adjt. 27 June 1917.

Edited by Wexflyer