The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd Lt Ebenezer King

Perth Digger

King was killed in a flying accident in March 1917, but before, possibly (probably?) as an observer with the RFC in 1916, he been awarded the MC. See London Gazette, 4 June 1917, p.1073. Is there a citation anywhere?

Thanks

Mike

Edited by Perth Digger

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 JUNE, 1917,

His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to approve of the undermentioned rewards for distinguished service in the field : — etc

King's Birthday Honours, no specific citation.

Does this clip6/4/17 from the Midlothian advertiser give a clue as to why King might have been awarded that almost retrospective MC?

Midlothian_Advertiser_06_April_1917_0003_Clip.jpg.8ccf238173e8f96af8a572a8226ba39f.jpg

Courtesy Findmypast 

Or this later clipping that provides more detail?

Midlothian_Advertiser_22_June_1917_0003_Clip.jpg.f125dec6279dc54276ecb975787351ee.jpg

Again the Midlothian Advertiser via Findmypast.

He was killed in an accident in England . It should be possible to get more details

crash.jpg.e5769520780586dcd434faca2d1eb950.jpg

There is a brief RFC service record. The RNAS one should be there, but I cannot find it

king1.jpg.fce62f658a151272dac7f1b6088a842f.jpg

This indicates he was #1988 in Royal Scots before commission

king2.jpg.d246709da31dc1f8f4e09d61a7501406.jpg

The fact he landed in France 5 Nov indicates pre-war service

king3.jpg.be5e42641b4aaac23aae2b008c2be3e1.jpg

Ancestry card

Thank you very much everyone for your inputs. It looks as if he went to Gallipoli with 1st KOSB, before being attached to the RNAS after moving to Egypt. 

His family was English, his father being born in Sutton and King himself in Sheerness.

If he received his MC on the King's Birthday List, does this mean it was for general service rather than a particular act? 

Mike

2 hours ago, Perth Digger said:

If he received his MC on the King's Birthday List, does this mean it was for general service rather than a particular act? 

That's how I understood it. In his case there was clearly one event, as detailed above, that featured heavily in the decision. The Army perhaps took longer than the Navy to recognise the bravery of the crew that day?

Charlie

I hadn't realised that the MC, like the DSO, could be given for a series of acts rather than one act. I learn one thing a day (and forget three, at my age).

Mike