Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Neuville St Vaast - Oct 1916

charlie2

Could some kind soul put me out of my misery and tell me which allied Division was holding line between Neuville St Vaast and Les Tilleuls during the middle of October 1916. Squares 4c & d + 10a & b above the  sunken road 

Thank you

Charlie

IMG_5238.jpeg

24. Reserve-Division?

Jan

31 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

24. Reserve-Division?

Jan

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

which allied Division

Thanks Jan, My interest is in the allied division which was opposing the 24. Res. Division.

Charlie

3 hours ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks Jan, My interest is in the allied division which was opposing the 24. Res. Division.

Charlie

Sorry, I hadn't paid attention to your exact question. :whistle:

I hope someone else can reply to your question.

Jan

Charlie

When I was going through 1916 RE War Diaries I noted that 60 Div CRE was in the area in October before handing over to the CRE 3 Canadian Div on 24/10. I had a look in the 60 Div HQ GS papers but not much help. The WD of 180 Infantry Brigade records that Units were in Neuville St Vaast in October. 

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
typo

There are daily intelligence reports in the October WD of 180 IB HQ but this is the only map and it is not a very good one. I have not looked at the Unit WDs.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/3031

43112_3031_0-00278.jpg

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Sorry, I hadn't paid attention to your exact question.

No worries Jan, I‘ve been found guilty of that as well :)

57 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

The WD of 180 Infantry Brigade records that Units were in Neuville St Vaast in October. 

Many thanks Brian, you have put me out of my misery:) I‘d spent quite a bit of time this afternoon looking at the Canadian WDs but obviously missed which Divisions they had relieved. It turns out that the days I am interested in are the few days before the relief.

Charlie

Charlie,

Did you check the regimental history of RIR 107 (occupying the very sector you are looking into)? They mention 13/London (60 Division) late September 1916.

Jan

Jan

I missed RIR 107, I would have saved myself and others time and effort if I had looked. I have the information I need now, thanks again.

Charlie