Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian AWOL/Deserter

Chris Anderson

I have come across a family member who enlisted in the 66th Battalion CEF in Edmonton, February 18, 1916. His service record is only sixteen pages long. I'm assuming he finished training, but on April 16th he was transferred to AAG (assistant adjutant general, Calgary) due to being AWOL. His unit left Halifax on the SS Olympic on April 28, 1916, his name being absent from the nominal roll. By September 15th a court of inquiry had listed him as going from AWOL to deserter.

Nothing more is known as he doesn't appear in the 1921 Canada census. He resurfaces in the 1931 census and joined the Canadian Army in World War II. He was born in 1900 in North Dakota, USA.

Does anyone know what the punishment would have been for awol/desertion while still in Canada? Does Ottawa keep records of court of inquiries? 

Thanks for your help.

John Lemp Casualty Form.jpg

• Admin

It may help members to assist you if you can share a name? (Understand if you would rather not).

Hi David. Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to provide a bit of background information as my inquiry was mainly if anyone knows what would happen if a soldier didn't show up when the troop transport left Halifax, and if there are records I could search in Ottawa. The soldier obviously wasn't found between April and September so was SOS as a deserter. What would or could happen next?