Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Positive Glass Slides

Joe Calderone

I have over 1,000 glass positives. They have been in my family since before I was born (1953) . I’ve been looking at these since I was 5 yrs old, and still get amazed at the clarity and the content. Are these of any interest to any WW1 buffs?

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. Your slides will be of interest. You may want to look at this thread as well.

Hi Joe welcome to the forum. 

It would be great if you could show them to us, i started WW1 Glass Stereo photos a few years ago and update when i get new ones in my collection.

Sometimes you can scan them but i find it`s best if you have a light box to put them on and take a photo.

I think photos look better on glass and love the 3D.

Regards,

Keith

ww1 blown up church.5a.jpg

I’m not into photography, I wouldn’t have any idea how to take the glass slides and make prints of the pictures.   I feel these are historical and are of interest to many. Looking for direction as to what I can do with them , so others can enjoy ( maybe not the right word , since a lot of the slides are extremely gruesome- dead bodies dismemberment etc.) Any ideas ?

I take the photos with my phone and have a light behind them so they show up, then upload them to this forum.

Keith

I used a very cheap USB powered light sheet (used by artists for tracing designs etc) and photographed glass slides using that. Worked very well. I used a digital camera but a phone works as well.

SubMenace-9.jpg.59ae13b8a806d0dfdf1b61331fbe854a.jpg

SubMenace-41.jpg.ef4fa9e22c6c2b04d98a0c4c24a9af47.jpg

SubMenace-27.jpg.680120e882e4c6cace7cfa5557e406e4.jpg

Here is a link to page 11 of ww1 glass stereo photos on how to take a photo with your camera on your phone.

Keith