The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Lt Mark Kinnaird Mackenzie

Roderick Hutchison

'th Bn Kings Rifles Killed 9/18/1914 at Soupier. Buried Montcornet Military Cemetery H6

Am absolutely stuck in trying to find details of the above soldier. Can anyone help?

Kindest

• Admin

Mark Kincaid MacKenzie 4th KRRC. I’d imagine his officers file would be at Kew. Note different date of death to yours.3rd RB didn’t land in France until September 1914. Concentration report on files shows body found at Braie en Laonnais. 
https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/328776/mark-kincaid-mackenzie/

Must have been attached to another battalion as the 4th didn’t get to France until December. 
4th Battalion
August 1914 : in Gharial, India. Returned to England with 3rd Bn on 19 November 1914.
Moved to Winchester and joined 80th Brigade in 27th Division.
21 December 1914 : landed at Le Havre.
19 November 1915 : sailed from Marseilles and moved to Salonika, arriving 25 November 1915.
June 1918 : left the Division and moved to France.
16 July 1918 : attached to 151st Brigade in 50th (Northumbrian) Division.

EDIT, didn’t read CWCG. Attached 3rd RB which makes a lot more sense. 

• Admin

Busy medal index card, ©️ Ancestry.

IMG_0976.png

IMG_0977.png

Good morning.  Thank you. You have been more than helpful.  I am finalising a Memorial at St Andrews and he has really lost me. No early life details, no photo but CWG who I asked in Duissans near to me gave me killed in action details.Was he Mark or Lord or Earl?  Really appreciate help. Roderick 

• Admin

I can’t find him in the Bond Of Sacrifice book. 

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Roderick Hutchison said:

I am finalising a Memorial at St Andrews and he has really lost me. No early life details, no photo but CWG who I asked in Duissans near to me gave me killed in action details.Was he Mark or Lord or Earl? 

His biography and photograph(s) are on the Magdalen College War Memorial site

https://slowdusk.magd.ox.ac.uk/people/230/

and this from the Scotsman 9th October 1914 courtesy BNA via FMP

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 11.43.28.png

Hello,

CWGC has him listed as Mark Kincaid Mackenzie, rather than Kinnaird. With the reference to Lord Mackenzie on the medal index card, a quick internet search shows that there was a Lord Kincaid Mackenzie who was a judge at the Scottish Court of Session. Judges of the Court of Session and High Court are given the courtesy title of Lord, but I don't think this would confer any titles upon his children.

Kincaid Mackenzie retired from the bench in 1922 and died in 1938. 

Mark could be his son.

Best wishes

Brian

EDIT: Post crossed with Kenf48, coming to the same conclusion!

Edited by Rockford

ScotlandsPeople records a Mark Kincaid Mackenzie was born on 22 August 1888 in the St. Andrew District of Edinburgh. His father was Charles Kincaid Mackenzie (Advocate) and his mother was Lilias Mackenzie m.s. Young. Their usual residence was 57? Northumberland Street, Edinburgh.

Best wishes

Douglas

London Gazette 7 July 1908 p4946

UNATTACHED LIST FOR AUXILIARY FORCES. Cyril Francis Cattley to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 29th May, 1908. Mark Kincaid Mackenzie to be Second Lieutenant Dated 29th May, 1908

LG 4 July 1911 p4935

The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Second Lieutenant Mark K. Mackenzie, from The East Lancashire Regiment, to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 5th July, 1911. 

LG 3/7/1914 p2881

The Undermentioned Second Lieutenants to be Lieutenants: — Mark K.--MacKenzie. Dated 3rd March, 1914.. 

Ken

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Swinesheadvillage said:

He has a card on ICRC

From the Magdalen College biography cited above

"For over a year, Lord Mackenzie made extensive and painstaking enquiries concerning the circumstances surrounding his son’s death and finally sent his findings to the War Office on 23 January 1916."

Thank you all. You have been more than kind, and generous with your knowledge

Roderick