Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Aide de Campe's badge

Alastair Fraser

Dear All

I have come across a badge that seems to have baffled everybody I know. I am hoping that someone out there may be able to help. I will try to get an illustration shortly but can anybody identify it from the description?

It is about the diameter of a British £2 coin although of thinner metal. Around the outside are the words "Aide de Campe" at the top and a serial number at the bottom, partly obscured by corrosion but reading "Prov ... /14" The indecipherable bit seems to be numbers. In the center are the letters "ADC" with the D larger than the other two. The reverse is blank and seems to have had a pin or some form of fastening, now missing. I cannot even say if it is British or French. It was found in an area occupied by both armies at one time or another.

Any help gratefully received.

Alastair Fraser

Very interesting Alastair - doesn't sound familiar, either from a British or French perspective. A photo, as you suggest, might help.

Just a thought, gents - Although it`s a French expression, the English is "Aide de camp" - no E on the end! Phil B

Gentlemen

Thank you both for your replies. I thought somebody would pick up on the spelling! I don't actually have the badge to hand as I am trying to get it cleaned and I could not recall whether there is a final "e" in "campe". Would that be diagnostic of a French or British spellling?

Regards

Alastair

Dear All

I now have a photograph of this badge which I hope may enable somebody to identfy it.

Any comments gratefully received.

Alastair Fraser

post-1772-1114460332.jpg

Does the patent number indicate that it is a product rather than a post? Phil B

I'd agree with this - it looks like the sort of metal tag that was attached to certain things, like portable stoves, etc.

Gentlemen

Thank you for your interesting comments. There is a patent of that number which is for a torch so you may be right. Does anybody know of an ADC torch? With the fashion for associating all manner of items with the army it is not impossible some torch manufacturer may have decided to cash in on the craze.

Regards

Alastair