Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

DCM 1914-1920 ~ RW Walker's book

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Anybody with RW Walker's "Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920" may want to correct the following error - a very rare occurence in this excellent reference work >

Page 13, Yeomanry, Rossiter HG, Sgt 230096 Dorset Yeo is *asterisked* to show no citation to the award - in fact he does have a citation, and a very "nice" one to boot > London Gazette 28/3/18 pp 3873.

regards - Tom

Tom,

Further to your posting:- "Anybody with RW Walker's "Recipients of the Distinguished Conduct Medal 1914-1920" may want to correct the following error - Page 13, Yeomanry, Rossiter HG, Sgt 230096 Dorset Yeo is *asterisked* to show no citation to the award".

In this case the asterisk denotes 'Unit not stated on citation' (see page 14). Only a '* by date = No Citation' (see page ix).

Please correct me if I've mis-understood the references.

Alan Seymour

Alan - ho ho - then perhaps RWW has confused me more than I thought he could - on pp vi he says >

"...... I have set out the details as follows:- ..."

(etc, items i through to vii, none of which mention the asterix, then)

"... viii The London Gazette Citation date (no citation is denoted by an asterisk)."

That's always seemed clear enough to me, an asterix in the entry, - and all the years I've had RWW's book I've never before had to search for a DCM which he says (as I read the above) wasnt citated.

On pp ix he doesnt say "* by date = No Citation", he says "* by Date - No Citation", which I'm afraid never really caught my attention or meant anything to me, certainly not over and above what he says on pp vi - and the way the asterixs' seem to be gaily dotted about from entry to entry has maybe compounded this confusion. Maybe if he'd said "no citation is denoted by an asterix BESIDE THE DATE" ............ but I suppose that if you know what you mean when you write it, and the proof-reader doesnt question it - etc.

Anyway - I believe you are correct, so I'll try to remember if I ever come across another one - but, just quickly flicking through - what am I to think if I ever look at J.McKinna in the Royal Scots, AW.Packer in the RE, etc etc, nevermind the repeated hilarity amongst the Hussars and Lancers on pp 11 - I now understand asterix beside the regiment or surname and asterix beside the date - where is the explanation for "asterix in the middle of nowhere" or "slightly to one side" ?

Nearly forgot - Rossiter's citation - he was Dorset Yeomanry but the citation only tells you that he was Yeomanry and came from Marnhull, Dorset - so yes, I get the point there.

Regards - Tom (currently slightly bemused ! )

:rolleyes: