Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A smiling tiger

Andrew1966

Good afternoon to you all. Well after much deliberation I have made another visit to my local dealer and look at what has happened. I seem to have come home with "the smiling tiger"  I saw a couple of weeks ago. 

It's scabbard is still a bit of a question mark, maybe, hopefully somebody might be able to see possibly evidence of it carrying the correct mark. 

Regards 

Andrew 

20240127_171809.jpg

20240127_172017.jpg

20240127_171850.jpg

20240127_171637.jpg

20240127_171627.jpg

20240127_171942.jpg

20240127_171931.jpg

Nice one Andrew, haven’t seen one in the flesh so to speak for along long time…a very nice addition to your expanding collection. I can’t see any trace of the scabbard markings sadly, so would assume it’s been added…but happy to be corrected by the experts.

Dave.

Good evening Dave. Thank you for your kind comments, I am very pleased with it and have enjoyed reading learning about them. I have attached an enlarged picture of the scabbard. It's probably wishful thinking but I am wondering if can see something. I wil invest some more time in researching if there is any techniques I can explore to see the area more clearly. 

Andrew 

Screenshot_20240127_205605_Photos.jpg

Andrew,

That is a very nice bayonet and is a good pick-up.

Like Dave66, I also cannot see a serial on the scabbard; perhaps a shot in better lighting or a light dusting with white chalk powder may help.

Regards,

JMB

Andrew,

Nice smiling tiger bayonet, remembering that there were only 10,000 to start with over 100 years ago and they are getting harder to find, so good one to have.

Also a nice early scabbard which looks the same as what would be expected to see if looking for original smiling tiger scabbard.

From what we have learnt so far, there where no inspectors marks on the locket or cape as usually found on service bayonet scabbards and mostly on the frog stud side of the scabbard. Have you found any inspectors marks on this scabbard ?.

Looks as if your scabbard leather has some sort of shiny finish on it. I have found that a good hard rub with thumb along the area sometimes shows up stampings that otherwise where very hard to see. Hope you are able to find something good !!!.

These tiger face stamped scabbards are few and far between and we have only come across 6 or 7 whilst searching for surviving smiling tiger bayonets over several years. The remaining leather stampings go from reasonably clear to just about worn away. The marking are all in the same position on leather.

Photo's of the few examples I have came across.

Cheers,

TR

Scab173.jpg

Scab4720.jpg

Scab9491.jpg

Scab2539.jpg

Scab5039.jpg

Nice one piece, dont forget to wipe out the fingerprints from blade, as similar could cause etching into surface, even here the blade was polished before.