Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Errors on fairly recently erected war memorial. Should I do anything?

rolt968

Note: I am deliberately not identifying the location of this war memorial. I would appreciate it if anyone does work out where it is that they do not indentify it in this thread.

One of the WW1 war memorials where some years ago I researched the men commemorated is inside a country parish church which has been sold for conversion to a private house. I have been following the planning process to find out what is to happen to the various memorial plaques inside the church. If I have been following the planning process correctly the plaques (although the WM is not named specifically) must be preserved inside the building.  This in itself is slightly alarming.

About twenty five years ago a new war memorial was erected in the churchyard which includes the  WW1 names and adds names for WW2. I confess that I had never taken much notice of the WW1 names on the new WM (since I was working on the originals) except to note that one surname was misspelled. Knowing that misspellings are common on war memorials and are not a great obstacle to a researcher, I thought no more of it. And of course there was the original in the church available.

Looking again at the new war memorial last week I noticed another and potentially more important error (from the researcher's point of view). One man's rank is given as "Cpt." rather than "Cpl.".

Throughout my researches of men on war memorials I have encountered a number of errors and ommissions and have noted and explained them in my write ups but have taken a "let sleeping dogs lie" approach about going any further. However I am wondering in this case since it looks as if the original WW1 Memorial will become much less accessible if I should take a different approach. (Of course the original newspaper reports of the dedication of the WW1 memorial are available and they have correct lists of names.)

I would welcome advice.

RM

Edited by rolt968

I think it would be alright to point it out to whoever was responsible for the new memorial and then it's up to them to decide what to do about it.

17 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

I think it would be alright to point it out to whoever was responsible for the new memorial and then it's up to them to decide what to do about it.

I tend to agree with Mark, particularly if your research is easily accessible to any one who researches the memorial. Let the custodians know and leave it up to them.

My local memorial has plenty of mistakes among the WW1 and WW2 soldiers. If I write about an individual, like yourself I make the errors known.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that of the cost to rectify mistakes. If the names are engraved in stone the costs can be expensive. I should imagine the costs are cheaper for wooden name boards but still worth considering.

On my local memorial they spelt the surnames of the sons of the man who established the memorial wrong. That has never been rectified. It can't have worried them much.

Scott

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

On 27/01/2024 at 17:52, Gardenerbill said:

On 28/01/2024 at 11:13, Waddell said:

I tend to agree with Mark, particularly if your research is easily accessible to any one who researches the memorial. Let the custodians know and leave it up to them.

My local memorial has plenty of mistakes among the WW1 and WW2 soldiers. If I write about an individual, like yourself I make the errors known.

Another point worth bearing in mind is that of the cost to rectify mistakes. If the names are engraved in stone the costs can be expensive. I should imagine the costs are cheaper for wooden name boards but still worth considering.

On my local memorial they spelt the surnames of the sons of the man who established the memorial wrong. That has never been rectified. It can't have worried them much.

Scott

Thank you both. The custodians probably should be the local council who have retained control (and ownership?) of the churchyard which is still open for burials. They have also adopted all the outdoor "civic" war memorials. It would be interesting to know if they have adopted this one since it will have needed little or no maintenance so far except weeding round it and and the removal of the wreath(s) at the appropriate time both of which would be done during routine maintenance pf the churchyard.

I think that correction would be expensive as the names are engraved in the stone. It's one of the reasons why I didn't bother about

At present my research is not easily available. I intend to publish but have an attidude rather like Miss Lydgate in Gaudy Night (never sure when I have got everything in!). I have safeguarded my research since if anything happens to me it goes to the local archives.

RM