Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships logs for HM Tugs Volcano and Enterprise and HM Special Service Vessel Magnet

LeoFielding

Hello

I'm searching for the logs for these ships for 1908. The ships were based at Portsmouth at this time. No sign of the logs at Kew.

Anyone come across them anywhere please?

Thanks

Edited by LeoFielding

I don't know how you've searched for them, so forgive me if this is redundant, but if they were ships taken up from trade, any 1908 logs surviving would be in BT (Board of Trade) alongside the Mercantile Marine rather than in ADM (Admiralty) alongside the Royal Navy.

It's also just possible that they escaped into the archives of the National Maritime Museum or Lloyd's Register, though in that case I would expect them still to have had a linking entry at TNA Kew.

Regards,

seaJane 

No all three ships were Admiralty owned and operated, and all were based in Portsmouth. I’d have to venture that the chances of finding any surviving logbooks relating to them are slim at the very best.

MB

1 hour ago, KizmeRD said:

all three ships were Admiralty owned and operated

Thank you for the correction @KizmeRD, and apologies to @LeoFielding.

sJ

Leo, were these three ships involved (perhaps) in the salvage of HMS Gladiator? - If not, what is your interest in them?

MB

Yes and good knowledge about HMS Gladiator! It’s frustrating no logs seem to have survived. I wonder if there is another source of Navy logs besides Kew that might have them?

Maybe a search of the Liverpool Salvage Association records might reveal whatever information you seek (held by the University of Liverpool).

They provided two salvage ships (Ranger & Plover) that also assisted in HMS Gladiator’s salvage, along with Capt. Frederick Young (who went on to be the officer in charge of Admiralty Salvage Section during the Great War).

MB

edit - or perhaps the court martial record held at TNA

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C3669653

Edited by KizmeRD

• 4 weeks later...

Leo,

There's an account of the Gladiator salvage at https://archive.org/details/sim_engineering_july-december-1908_86/page/474/mode/2up with photos and diagrams. I didn't notice any mention of the Volcano and Magnet.  The Enterprise is stated to have belonged to the Liverpool Salvage Association (unless there was a second vessel named Enterprise involved).

Regards, Ralph