Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Assistance in Locating Area

aclayton1911

Hello all, 

I am a few years into a very detailed research project revolving around my 2nd great-grandfather and have hit a few speed bumps. His name was Pte. Joshua Samuel Clayton (111096) and he attested with the 6th Canadian Mounted Rifles, later the 4th CMR on reorg. 

I am combing through war diaries and trench maps to attempt to follow his footsteps exactly and have located an area I do not know. On 22 November 1915 the Battalion departs a billeting area at Saint-Jans-Chappel and marches to new billets. The area is written as Grand _______ Farm. This farm is the area I am trying to identify. 

Any help with this would be greatly appriciated!

Thanks, 

Alex

e001124480.jpg.e9c3cdc27b656b880c46b8a2115fb1d1.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the Forum !

Could it be Grand Munque Farm - but spelt something like Munke in the WD?

Regards

Russ

Thank you so much Russ. I believe you are correct because later on when someone else writes in the diary it looks like Grand "Hunke" Farm. I will be doing some research now on Le Grande Munque Farm. 

Thank you again!

You can find Grand Munque Farm on TrenchMapper by putting just Munque in the Advanced Search box.

The resultant map may seem missing but use the map selection drop down in the lower left panel, the regular 1:10,000 or 1:20,000 are the best start.

That farm is at 28.T.24.d.3.7

Howard

Grand Munque.jpg

Thought that I had seen it before. Thanks to Russ for posting the link to the R Watson thread.

Brian