Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need help deciphering service record for Aaron Middleton

Middleton

I have the similar question, I have no clue what I am looking at, this is my great grandfather Aaron Middleton. 

Screenshot_20240123_201958_Samsung Notes.jpg

Screenshot_20240123_202028_Samsung Notes.jpg

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

This has been split into its own topic to avoid confusion and gain appropriate interest.

Good luck with your research.

Please acknowledge the source of all images you post.

Yes indeed, welcome to the forum!

Briefly, your man started out in the navy as a boy sailor, and worked his way up to become a Petty Officer.
Then in 1912 he transferred over to the Coast Guard service (which at that time was still part of the Royal Navy).

I’m sure others will be along shortly to provide chapter and verse.

MB

Aaron Middleton might have a China 1900 campaign medal - he was on HMS Terrible & HMS Centurion within the qualifying dates.  Be good to check ADM 171 to be certain.

He also has an RN LS (Long Service) medal whilst serving as a Leading Boatman (Station Signalman) in the Coast Guard -  his medal was traced - 20(8?)/15

& I suspect also a BWM (British War medal).

The only records I can find on the ADM are the ones above. 187/343/198135.  Would I find any others records anywhere else ? .

I did find a record somewhere else, 

Screenshot_20240124_125210_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Middleton

• 1 month later...
On 26/01/2024 at 13:52, RNCVR said:

Aaron Middleton might have a China 1900 campaign medal - he was on HMS Terrible & HMS Centurion within the qualifying dates.  Be good to check ADM 171 to be certain.

He also has an RN LS (Long Service) medal whilst serving as a Leading Boatman (Station Signalman) in the Coast Guard -  his medal was traced - 20(8?)/15

& I suspect also a BWM (British War medal).

Sorry for the late replay, I lost this site and couldn't remember how to find it again.

So how would check the ADM and would their be another way to search for his medels?

AS suspected, qualified for British War Medal 'B' only, issued to him at Humber CG.

[Image courtesy TNA ADM 171/110]

image.png.d1eee000e1e8073cb3ffefe28dee3133.png

Edited by horatio2

On 01/03/2024 at 14:52, horatio2 said:

AS suspected, qualified for British War Medal 'B' only, issued to him at Humber CG.

[Image courtesy TNA ADM 171/110]

image.png.d1eee000e1e8073cb3ffefe28dee3133.png

Thank you 😁,  can I ask you?  What does this mean, I have no clue and i am still learning.

This is his entry in the Admiralty Medal Roll for ratings of the Royal Navy (including Coast Guard). It shows that his WW1 service qualified him for just one medal, the British War Medal This was issued to him while he was still serving in HM Coast Guard, probably in1921. Had he served at sea (he did not) he might have been eligible for the 1914-1915 Star and Victory Medal as well.

See also   -   https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/?s=campaign+medals