Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut. F. Jewell RFC

thedawnpatrol

Any info on this officer, i have his medal pair, both are stamped RFC not RAF ?

thank you

thank you...........could be, it only has '2nd Lieut. F. Jewell RFC' stamped on the medal rim.

I've found a Francis Charles Jewell. Would this be him? 

I have some information about him. I will gather it up & post it later tonight.

I believe this will be 2nd Lieutenant Frank Jewell who was at 1 AD and 3 AAP, as an Equipment Officer 3rd Class from late 1916 to at least mid-1917.  The Air Force List for April 1918 records a Lieutenant F Jewell as a Technical Officer, presumably this is same temporary Major F Jewell who is recorded in the February 1919 Air Force List as a Staff Officer, 2nd Class at York (North-Western Area) as of 24 August 1918; that being the case, it is the same Frank Jewell. 

Graeme

His casualty form suggests he was attached to 13 Wing in June 1917, before being posted to the same wing and then Home Establishment in September 1917, so presumably in France for at least some of this time.

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/12634

According to the Gazette he was commissioned as a 2nd Lieutenant (on probation) with the RFC on 3 September 1916, which then fits with the dates mentioned above by topgun1918.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29772/page/9562

This looks to be his AIR 76 file at the National Archives, born 14 July 1865 apparently, so he would have been in his 50's at the time of WW1.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8277808 

There is an RAF  record of a Francis Charles Jewell, born Chiswick 1889.  Service date 22nd July 1916. A Fold 3 sub is required to access the records. His parents were Albert & Dorenda. He worked for the Central London Railway. According to a family tree he fitted machine guns to aircraft. He was later a cycle dealer & repairer. 

Frank Jewell was assigned to the Expeditionary Force on 15 November 1916 and was at No 1 AD (France) for 'completion of training (Stores)'; in January/February 1917 he returned to the UK and here he remained for the duration of the war, being transferred to the Unemployed List on 1 June 1919.  His period in France was brief but long enough to qualify for both the British War Medal (meeting the requirement of entry into a theatre of war, or rendering approved service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918) and the Victory Medal (again, serving on the establishment of a unit in a theatre of war between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918). 

Graeme

Thank you all for your valued contribtions, much appreciated.