Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nose Guard???

Kellyellie98

Hello everyone, I've come across an unusual image in which I simply cannot seem to find an explanation for! One could assume that maybe it helped the pilot to breathe if his scarf covered his mouth? Although it seems like such an odd little thing. My other thought was that maybe his nose was broken? Or maybe something from football? I'll attach a photo. What do you all think this is? I'd love to know more. 

image.png.72ffcc9e9a0bdd10fc4fb4616f845bfc.png

Kelsey. 

Speculating ... Perhaps to protect his nose from the cold/frostbite ???

M

7 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Speculating ... Perhaps to protect his nose from the cold/frostbite ???

M

That was my immediate thought as well.

the other interesting observation is that the helmet appears to be 'wired ' for earphones..........do you know the date of this photo ? it strikes me as 1920's ? 

This helmet seems to be a U S Air Service Western Electric Type 1A Flying 1917 Pattern Flying Helmet which was the first standerdized by the Army Air Service in 1917 and the first to incorporate radio telephone communication equipment .It remained in use  until the mid 1920s .Some english helmets were full face and head apart from the eyes .

There is clearly some sort of balaclava arrangement (with a mouth-hole) as well as the nose guard. I understand that there was rather nasty sinus and other soft-tissue damage that could be caused by the extreme cold experienced when flying; I seem to remember hearing that some men who had flown in the First World War had constantly dripping noses for the rest of their lives.

I reckon this is a picture of a new invention.lts a professional portrait and if you were having your picture taken you wouldn't say "Hang on,lve just got to put on my nosepiece so that I'll look the part properly."  

I'll resist remarking that some people talk through their nose on the radio.