Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Judicial executions of Royal Navy personnel

Mark T

Were any Royal Navy sailors executed during the 1914-18 war having convicted of an offence under the provisions of the 'Articles of War'? 

Also, did any receive a capital sentence from a civil court (e.g. for murder committed on shore).

The cases of the 300+ soldiers who were 'Shot at Dawn' are well known, but I have never heard of any sailors who suffered a similar fate.

Sub Lieutenant Edwin Dyett of the RND was executed during Shute’s tenure, presumably following the Byng principle.

MB

IMG_2410.png

Edited by KizmeRD

I think that "Shot at Dawn" questions (albeit not in so many words) whether Dyett was executed under the terms of the Articles of War.

RM

7 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

I think that "Shot at Dawn" questions (albeit not in so many words) whether Dyett was executed under the terms of the Articles of War.

It would be helpful (to me at least) if you could expand a little on the above 

Thanks

Michael

I guessing that @rolt968 is referring to the fact that the two charges levelled against Dyett were framed in accordance with the Army Act of 1881 and were not charges contrary to Navy Articles of War as per Naval Discipline Act 1866.

AA12[l]a   

The accused, Temporary Sub-Lieutenant Edwin Leopold Arthur Dyett RNVR, an officer of the Nelson Battalion, 63rd Division, is charged when on active service deserting His Majesty's Service

in that he

in the field on the 13th November 1916, when it was his duty to join his battalion, which was engaged in operations against the Enemy, did not do so, and remained absent from his battalion until placed under arrest at Englebelmer on 15th November 1916.

AND secondary (catch all) alternative charge

AA§40

Conduct to the prejudice of good order and Military discipline

in that he

in the field on the 13th November 1916 did not go up to the front line when it was his duty to do so.

MB

24 minutes ago, KizmeRD said:

I guessing that @rolt968 is referring to the fact that the two charges levelled against Dyett were framed in accordance with the Army Act of 1881 and were not charges contrary to Navy Articles of War as per Naval Discipline Act 1866.

I think you have put that considerably better than I could or indeed "Shot at Dawn" does.  It is my interpretation of what "Shot at Dawn" says. I will track down my copy and post exactly what it says.

RM

It says a lot that Shute had a supply of pre-printed death warrants only requiring the name of the accused to be inserted (little more than chits).

In all 11 members of the Royal Naval Division were sentenced to death during the course of the war, Dyett’s was the only sentence not to be commuted. 

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

A P Herbert:-

The General inspecting the trenches
Exclaimed with a horrified shout
'I refuse to command a division
Which leaves its excreta about.'

But nobody took any notice
No one was prepared to refute,
That the presence of **** was congenial
Compared to the presence of Shute.

And certain responsible critics