1 hour ago, davidbohl said:

I think there are enough features to pick out hopefully

thanks

PearsonA_photo_Thomas.jpg.54174ba61c61299286896c9f2d3e6e11.jpg

Could be the Manchester Regiment..

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Gunner 87 said:

Could be the Manchester Regiment..

I agree with you Gunner 87 :thumbsup: It is the most likely one by its shape.

Rather than a General Service badge.

It looks like the Royal Arms GS badge to my eyes, the shape of the base of the badge gives it away.    Pete.

Thanks chaps,

The date for the photographer is circa. 1916

From the BNA

Screenshot2024-01-2221_28_47.png.3de337e79964e20844dd182169f6cefa.png

• Admin
7 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It looks like the Royal Arms GS badge to my eyes, the shape of the base of the badge gives it away.    Pete.

I first thought that Pete but I see a shield shape in the middle and a scroll under it, then the bottom scroll.

So the middle scroll says Manchester to my eyes.

any better ?

Screenshot2024-01-2221_48_46.png.2501aa1ba3e83927aedb3c10bba3010b.png

Very difficult to distinguish which of the two badges, Manchester Regiment or GS but the soldier is not wearing shoulder titles which, I don't think, the GSC were issued with as opposed to the Manchester Regiment who were...

Not an expert on this so ready to stand corrected. 

The shape of the scrolls at the bottom say it’s a General Service cap badge, as used in 1917 by both, the Labour Corps, and the resurrected Volunteer Force of regional and county regiments that had previously been the Volunteer Training Corps.  Notice the distinct upwards curve of the former and the downwards curve of the latter.  The dark shadow at the base of the badge in the photo clearly shows an upwards curve.  You can also make out the lion’s larger, maned head. 

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
4 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The shape of the scrolls at the bottom say it’s a General Service cap badge as used in 1917 by both the Labour Corps and the resurrected Volunteer Force of regional and county regiments that had previously been the Volunteer Training Corps. 

Thanks FROGSMILE,

I stand corrected.

Pete, you have it. :thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Thanks FROGSMILE,

I stand corrected.

Pete, you have it. :thumbsup:

It’s often tough to tell them apart Bob, but there were some good visual clues that are just about discernible on my phone screen this time.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s often tough to tell them apart Bob, but there were some good visual clues that are just about discernible on my phone screen this time.

How about the use of shoulder titles with the GS cap badge, as @Gunner 87 commented on please?

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

How about the use of shoulder titles with the GS cap badge, as @Gunner 87 commented on please?

Bob, when worn as a cap badge by the Labour Corps they would have worn the LC shoulder titles.    Pete.

10 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

I concur with Pete, Bob.  The GS badge issued during WW1 had far greater utility for its usage than subsequently and up to the present day.  When adopted by the Volunteer Force circa 1917, after it had absorbed the bulk of the VTC, a wide variety of shoulder titles were in use.  Only the central lance corporal is wearing LC titles (cloth) in this group.  As the LC was also not formed until 1917 a majority of the titles worn would’ve been cloth, as the supply chain issued them more commonly in the latter part of the war. 

IMG_2060.jpeg

IMG_2065.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks everybody, I just need to figure out which one of the five brothers it is, should keep me occupied as Jocelyn blows over.

• Admin
16 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Bob, when worn as a cap badge by the Labour Corps they would have worn the LC shoulder titles.    Pete.

Thank you Pete, good to know that.

I am do now see it is a GS badge. :D

15 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I concur with Pete, Bob.  The GS badge issued during WW1 had far greater utility for its usage than subsequently and up to the present day.  When adopted by the Volunteer Force circa 1917, after it had absorbed the bulk of the VTC, a wide variety of shoulder titles were in use.  Only the central lance corporal is wearing LC titles (cloth) in this group.  As the LC was also not formed until 1917 a majority of the titles worn would’ve been cloth, as the supply chain issued them more commonly in the latter part of the war.

Thank you for your reply FROGSMILE, it all adds to our knowledge now and for those in the future.

Hold onto yer hats, it's a bit windy out today :lol: