Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMLI Plymouth division Gallipoli Question

Sarah14

Researching Joe Fowlds killed in Gallipoli. His record says he was in The Royal Marines Plymouth division 19thJan 15 to 8th May 15, then 'embarked' “Victory” 8May to 14 July 1915. He was killed in action in Gallipoli on 14 July 1915.

My research so far suggests the Plymouth division landed at Gallipoli on 25th April. Would Joe have been with them then, or was there a separate landing with further Plymouth division members?

Would anyone be able to shed light on the ‘embarked Victory 8th May' entry on his record?
Thanks

Welcome to the GWF.

8 May 1915 was the date on which he was transferred from Plymouth Division RMLI HQ onto the books of HMS VICTORY where the pay accounts of the RM Brigade of the RND were kept. He was part of a large draft of reinforcements sent out to the RND in May 1915 and he did not land at Gallipoli until 31 May, so he missed the main April landings. Plymouth Battalion RND (with Chatham Battalion) had deployed to the MEF in early February 1915 and made the first landings at Gallipoli in early March.

He died,  in No.11 Casualty Clearing Station, of head wounds sustained in the Action of Achi Baba Nullah. He was one of fifteen Plymouth Bn. casualties in that battle.

Edited by horatio2

Good evening Sarah,

Sir Arthur Gaskell wrote a long report (divided into several parts in the Journal of the Royal Naval Medical Service) on the formation of the RND medical unit and its time at Gallipoli. I have a scan of all the parts combined, which I hope I've managed to upload here.

It takes some reading, and I can't say for certain (can't remember) whether it includes anything on the action of 14 July, but you might find it of interest in terms of what it tells you about the fighting conditions.

Best wishes,

seaJane 

History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division - Arthur Gaskell.pdf

seaJane Thank you so much. A fascinating read, so much of interest - the logistics of setting up a medical unit, dealing with the wounded, dealing with lice, how to reduce flies, the approach to mental illness and to to self inflicted wounds. There is some mention of events around 14th July which is helpful to my research. 

Glad to hear it!

22 hours ago, horatio2 said:

He died,  in No.11 Casualty Clearing Station, of head wounds sustained in the Action of Achi Baba Nullah. He was one of fifteen Plymouth Bn. casualties in that battle.

Supplementary to H2's post above
For the action in which your relative died the Plymouth Battalion were active in the area west of the  Achi Baba Nullah. Please see the attached map where the Achi Baba Nullah runs from top-right to bottom left and the particular area concerned is indicated by the red arrow.

Notes from War Diary of RM Brigade [ National Archives ref. WO95/4291 (https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C4557444), as transcribed by Len Sellers and found on p.2300> of his magazine 'R.N.D.,' issue No.2, December 2002*]

12th July 1915
Brigade less Deal Battalion in Corps Reserve from 0600. 
52nd Division were carrying out an attack on Turkish trenches E.10, E.11, E.12, E.13, F12 & F.12a.
At 1600 hrs Brigade HQ., Plymouth & Portsmouth Battalions ordered to  Backhouse Post. 

155th Brigade having captured line S.T.P. and the lines in rear, Plymouth Battalion to support 6th Highland Light Infantry in area west of nullah (indicated by red arrow on map)

In the evening 52nd Division had captured all trenches within F.11, F.11a, E.13a, E.12, E.11, T, D.11, B.5. Some doubt as to P. T. as communications held by Turks.

13th July 1915
Very difficult to find out exact line held by 52nd Division. West of Nullah the Plymouth Battalion RMLI sent in support last night found themselves in sole occupation of captured trenches which they hold, as the 157th Brigade (52nd Div.) has withdrawn to Nelson and Plymouth Avenues.

Plymouth Battalion drove off enemy and took 12 prisoners and 2 machine-guns. 

1230 hrs the line held was F.11, F.11a, F.12, F.12a, F.13 (for 30 yds), E.11 (to sap joining E.12a to E.10a), E.10 -A-R-W-Z, and A-Z by 2nd Turkish Trench

Ground lost E.13 and rest of E.11 and E.12.

At 1630 hrs there's an attack by Portsmouth Battalion and Nelson Battalions who suffer very heavy casualties

[14th July 1915 – Plymouth are not mentioned but obviously very heavy fighting is still going on along this front]

15th July 1915 – Plymouth are given as still occupying the trenches to the west of the nullah.

*this is available on disc from the Crystal Palace; see http://www.crystalpalacefoundation.org.uk/shop/world-war-1-iwm-the-gt-victory-exhibition/royal-naval-division-w-i-a-d

Scan2024-01-23_162630.thumb.jpg.f5cb7e187b8abaecf8d41d0e1663de3f.jpg

The map is taken from 'The Fifty-Second (Lowland Division) 1914-1918' by Lt-Col R. R. Thompson M.C., pub. 1923 [maps by Capt. J. B. Ramsey]

To give you some idea of where on the Helles front at Gallipoli we are talking about here, then please see the maps below where the trenches to the west of Achi Baba Nullah are marked by a black oval

image.jpeg.0794e7bfd6c32623c65e545ade195484.jpeg

MapHellesatevacuationCROPA.jpg.11c1e6e8752959770891ca77cfec3e1e.jpg

Thank you Michaeldr. Really useful information. I had wondered if he was the man who had been injured in a bomb throwing accident, mentioned in a 14th July diary entry of Horace Bruckshaw (also in the Plymouth Batallion), but not sure now whether it is more likely he was injured in the 13th then taken to the clearing station where he died the next day. I'm guessing it would have taken several hours to evacuate men from the trenches back to the clearing station. 

14 hours ago, Sarah14 said:

I'm guessing it would have taken several hours to evacuate men from the trenches back to the clearing station.

Not necessarily. 

For example, this is from the report of Staff Surgeon C. E. Cortis Stanford  RN, relating to the 12-13th July in respect of his Field Ambulance 
“The following was the arrangement for the transport of the wounded.
'C' sub-division bearers under Surgeon Sparrow were posted at the East Lancashire Field Ambulance Station in the nullah. They were receiving cases from the Field Ambulance bearers at the head of the nullah, carrying them down to Backhouse Post and calling in at the East Lancashire Dressing Station for dressing when necessary. From Backhouse Post to Skew Bridge the bearing was done by the Lowland Division Bearers and from Skew Bridge cases were taken over by the Bearers of  'A' and 'B' sub-divisions under Surgeons Mayne and Foxell who were stationed at 200 Hill. The cases were then transported by wagons to my main dressing station, where they were seen and finally passed to the Casualty Clearing Station by motor ambulances. This arrangement worked rapidly and smoothly, there being practically no blocking of transport en route.” 
[my emphasis]
from OFFICIAL HISTORY OF THE MEDICAL UNIT OF THE ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION FROM ITS INCEPTION TO THE EVACUATION OF GAI,LIPOLI.

by SURGEON REAR-ADMIRAL ARTHUR GASKELL, C.B., O.B.E., F.R.C.S., D.P.H. Late A.D.M.S. of the Royal Naval Division.

Edited by michaeldr