Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unidentified RN or RNR photo WWI

JonJB

This is an unidentified family photo. There were members of the family in the Royal Naval Reserve but I don't know if these uniforms can be recognised as Royal Navy or Royal Naval Reserve. The cap is marked Victory which I believe may relate to the shore barracks at Portsmouth. So could this be a photo taken at a studio in Portsmouth?

JA 07 8 5 45.jpg

18 minutes ago, JonJB said:

I don't know if these uniforms can be recognised as Royal Navy or Royal Naval Reserve.

'Square Rig' Class II Uniform (men dressed as seamen) is identical for RN, RNR and RNVR.

18 minutes ago, JonJB said:

The cap is marked Victory which I believe may relate to the shore barracks at Portsmouth. So could this be a photo taken at a studio in Portsmouth?

Quite possibly taken in Portsmouth. Their RNR records might give a clue as to when they served together.

Edited by horatio2

Another clue from the photo is that one of the men has a moustache - which for men dressed as seamen, was something only permitted for reservists.

MB

Thanks for the confirmations. Unfortunately we can't definitely identify who they are, even what family branch. I have service records and other RNR records for a couple of individuals but there is no certainty they are for the men in the photo.