Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mine warfare near Izmir March 1917

stevenbecker

Mates,

A comment by Glenn to another question, sent me to the books to find what was going on around Izmir Turkey in March 1917

LtzS deR Stig Ankarcona  was last mentioned with the Bosporus I. mine sweeping division (1915)

He is reported KIA 26-3-17 commanding a Mine sweeper, during mining sweeping operations around Büjük near Izmir

I can find no actions for that death, none of the known Ottoman Mine sweepers were around there, so it maybe one of the Aux Mine sweepers which I have little on?

Does anyone know what was going on around there in March 1917

Slight correction for now: the officer's name was Stieg Ankarcrona, born February 1, 1889. The family was Swedish, with the Stig being the Swedish spelling of the first name.

Thanks Michael I saw that,

I used the Swedish as thats what he was called by them, as you rightly say.

I did wonder about his place of death , as Glenn mentioned "Büjük Liman"

The closest I could find was in East Java (indo) near Surabaya

Clearly that wrong but  the area near Izmir is called "Büjük"

So I took the punt, I could be wrong again?

Edited by stevenbecker

Unfortunately neither the Ehrenrangliste entry or his entry in the naval Verlustliste Nr. 107a effective as at 11 April 197 are more explicit. Both state "Mine" or "Minen-expl." It could of course have been an accident of some description. Of interest, is the fact, that only Lt.z.See Ankarcrona was killed or wounded in this incident.

Regards

Glenn

Ankarkrona.jpg.5a2b097e1f8da22a2fdf8baa15399ae4.jpg

If the place where this chap died was on the Bosphorus, then it was probably Buyuk Liman.
See the map below at 2 or 3 miles in from the Black Sea on the European side (spelt here Buyouk)
Given the proximity to the Black Sea, then it may well have been an accident involving a free floating Russian mine which had entered the Bosphorus.

image.jpeg.731d25da98262e7e38c15e4ce575fa02.jpeg

Thanks, makes more sence now as the clearing of Russian mines was a continued problem.

The name change also throw me Ankarcrona?

Thanks 

The Geheime Marine Verlustliste entry is also interesting as another member of the Naval MG Sects Marine-Landungsabteilung (Naval Shore Det)  shows up 

The war ships were not the only ships to provide MG crews, as a number from the Depot Ship "General" also sent men.

Edited by stevenbecker

48 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Given the proximity to the Black Sea, then it may well have been an accident involving a free floating Russian mine which had entered the Bosphorus

I stress here that this is a speculation, however if it was a Russian Floating Mine, then the following may also be of interest:-

From The Mitchell Report (1919), p.497
"Russian floating Mine (see Plate 127, Fig. 2).—These mines were floated down the Bosphorus by the Russians. They floated just awash, and if the wheel on top of the mine was grazed the mine exploded. The Turks stated :—'These mines were generally destroyed by sinking against parts of the coast. Sometimes we received warning of the existence of mines and these were destroyed. Those which entered the Bosphorus (four to five) caused the destruction of a pier and of shore-side houses.' They were regarded as very dangerous to handle." 

image.jpeg.85929c6392642acca625423081826b37.jpeg

Edited by michaeldr