Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery frog?

Steve1871

My friend Paul again, just picked this up today, he is working a gun/ military show in Phoenix Arizona today. 
Does anyone know what this frog is? Possibly Great War used?  To me, it looks Spanish style, but just my guess

IMG_8363.jpeg

IMG_8364.jpeg

IMG_8365.jpeg

It has similarities with the Italian frogs but they do not have quite such exaggerated flaps either side. It is certainly not a common frog. You would expect it is for a bayonet with a large quillon to prevent it rubbing on the hip and uniform. Not much help.

Cheers,  SS 

The form is similar as mentioned but the sewing was done not proffesionally and the hole for hook doesnt look like well made, it could be a home made dress frog.

One of my Spanish M 71 socket bayonets with scabbard and FROG. These are a bit scarce, but no think rare. My friends frog, on a scabbard, the scabbard looks fairly small. Both mine and my friends have the distinct swell for a socket.My three photos are first, then screen shot from web site or others

IMG_4225.jpeg

IMG_4227.jpeg

IMG_4226.jpeg

IMG_6097.png

Yes Steve, this could be a alternative Muster of similar frog was made, the quality of stitching on last presented piece is on higher level certainly, but the first frog could be variation of this type.

Scabbard and frog for French socket bayonet 1822

Steve, Your scabbard looks like French or Belgian Albini Brandli 1867 

P1290309.JPG

P1290308.JPG

P1290312.JPG

Hand self-made German frog for extra bayonet with characteristic "wings" :rolleyes:

P1140603.JPG

Rafal

Thanks, I even have an albini  rifle and bayonet/ scabbard. So many of those socket scabbards with brass furniture look the same, if no markings , sometimes you simply can not be sure. On my Spanish m71 socket, I believe it is a tiny bit skinnier and length of scabbard is slightly shorter. But thanks. 
really like the French 1822 frog/scabbard. You got the Bayonet to go with it??! Thanks again, Take care

Steve

Edited by Steve1871

I also liked it - that you can see the producer of the frog.
However, you can't collect everything - and a friend of mine already has it. All I have left are photos

P1290311.JPG