Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Perth Digger

George Wilkes was mentioned on this Forum a few years ago in relation to his gravestone in St Helen's, Lancs. He was the passenger in an aircraft that crashed and burned owing to mechanical failure and pilot error at the Gunnery School in Hythe in January 1917. Before then, however, he was with 25 Squadron when it was being formed in Montrose in 1915 and subsequently was in France with the squadron in 1916. There is a rather confused account of his time with 25 Squadron in the Montrose Review, 19 January 1917, in which Wilkes is mentioned as being 'in charge' of Lord Doune's machine and involved in 'the straffing of Immellman (sic)'. 

I am unsure whether Wilkes was an air gunner or a mechanic (or both) when with 25 Squadron but presumably was a gunner instructor at Hythe. Any help will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks David and Jon.

• Admin

Reading the Corner's inquest report it would suggest Wilkes was an engine fitter or engineer of some sort as he was in charge of the detail who had worked on the engine repair prior to the subsequent flight. He was not it appears an air gunner or instructor.

Folkestone Hythe Sandgate & Cheriton Herald 6 January 1917 [courtesy FMP]

image.png

image.png

image.png

(Apologies for the broken images - file wouldn't upload)

Many thanks, David. That report did not come up on my search of the newspapers, so I'm grateful to you. It's a very detailed account and quite graphic. It's perhaps not surprising that a year later coroners' inquests on flying accidents were stopped, to prevent public reporting.

Mike