Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1907 Bayonet with quillon help please

DavidHH

Hello, can I get some help on this bayonet please, it looks ok to me, but to be honest I know diddly about them.

It seems to be 1909 dated on the bayonet and scabbard, the pommel is stamped 3GR over 135, the 135 is also stamped into the top of the scabbard. I know these have been heavily faked but I am hoping this one is real. It certainly has some wear. The scabbard has an internal chape rather than one on the outside. the pictures aren't the best but hopefully good enough for opinions . Any help greatly received as I never had one of these before. Thankyou

Bayonet.jpeg

front.jpeg

back.jpeg

markings 1.jpeg

markings 2.jpeg

Edited by DavidHH

From what I can see it all looks good to me. You do have some damage and condition issues but apart from that a VERY authentic set with scabbard and frog.

It is a P1907 bayonet made by Mole in Birmingham in 1909, with reissue stamps for '12 and '14, and unit marked to the 3rd Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment, rack number 135.

The scabbard is a very scarce Mk.I type with the internal chape in good condition made by A.Cooper, also from Birmingham in 1908, so quite possibly it's original matching scabbard.

The frog is a slightly later Pattern 14, Leather Equipment issue again in good condition. Overall a very desirable and authentic WW1 piece of British equipment.

PS. The 3rd Battalion was a Reserve unit and served in a Home Defence capacity during the War, which would totally support the current shape this kit is in.

Cheers,  SS 

Oh , thank you so much most interesting, might I ask about the damaged, is that the pitting on the metal? I will probably give it a wipe with some gun oil just to get the newer rust off?

I was looking for an example as I have a photo of a family member with his kit and that has a quillon 07, interestingly he was Glosters.

The visible damage I was getting at was mainly the quillon which is fairly banged up and bent slightly out of shape. A wipe with gun oil will help prevent any further deterioration due to the rust. If you wanted an example that is linked to the Gloucesters you would be hard pressed to find a more authentic piece. You struck it lucky here.!

Cheers,  SS 

Looks good to me but it does look to me that someone has cold blued the blade but that might be just the lighting 

It looks like nice hooked P1907, the hook was little bented to blade so it have not the typical position.

Lovely combination, I would happily give it house room👍👍.

A little bit of extra info, the P14 frog would normally have had a helve carrier strap on the back, some were removed post war, but a few, like this one, were made without, and issued to reserve units that had no need for the carrier.

Dave.

Edited by Dave66

You have there the very rare and desirable combination of matching numbers on bayonet and scabbard.

Congratulations on such a set!

Regards,

JMB

Thanks for all the help on this bayonet, here are a few better pictures, gave it a dust with a dry paint brush and a wipe to the rust with a little gun oil and I think it came up a treat, ok the quillon has a bit of a ding and whilst annoying I can live with it. I don't think the blade has been blued. The scabbard is stamped to the bayonet. The frog is stamped though difficult to make out the date. Overall pleased I added it to my collection.... Just need to get one with a later scabbard and without the ding now!

full out.jpeg

full tilt.jpeg

top front.jpeg

top back.jpeg

top tilt 2.jpeg

top tilt 1.jpeg

top.jpeg

top no..jpeg

frog 52.jpeg

frog date.jpeg

46 minutes ago, DavidHH said:

The frog is stamped though difficult to make out the date.

As I have mentioned previously you've ended up with a very authentic and very desirable set there.!

Your Pattern 1914 bayonet frog was made by JAMES HOMER  C&M 1915

Your stamping is not overly clear but we know enough from other clearly marked examples to be able to fill in the gaps. :thumbsup:

Cheers,  SS 

IMG_20240127_112456.jpg.3fb33c37bff1e7416771315993d92537.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A very lovely piece! What an excellent find!