Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locations

andrew pugh

Good Evening All

Does anyone have or know where the following locations are on a trench map. They will be on a 57c sheet series And the time period is early/mid March1918.The locations are Sanders Camp, i believe it might be near Fremicourt, and the other locations are Vittoria Camp and Salamanca Camp.

Hope someone can help.

Regards

Andy   

Salamanca Camp is mentioned here: In the unit’s war diary (The National Archives [TNA], WO 95/2082 [8th Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment]) it is possible to trace the movements of the regiment from Trescault, east of Bapaume, France (where it was transferred to the 56th Infantry Brigade), to Salamanca Camp near Barastre (south-east of Bapaume)...

Source: Surreyinthegreatwar.org.uk

Andy,

I found the following on the Long, Long Trail relating to Fremicourt in 1918 - may be a lead as to which War Diary to try - "The 11th (Service) Battalion of the Lancashire Fusiliers had been camped at the village for several days, and on 21 March was ordered forward to help man the defence of the Beaumetz area."

Ken

Hi Ken, hope you are well

Thank you for the information, very helpful.

Kind Regards

Andy

10 hours ago, Ken Lees said:

Salamanca Camp near Barastre

TrenchMapper has a few 1918 maps with huts, hutments and camps.  Sadly none of them are named.  This one was originally printed in March 1918 and  subsequently updated:

Sheet 57C SW
1:20,000
Edition: 5D Local Mar 1918
Trenches corrected to 18/5/1918, Enemy organisation 7/6/1918. Printed 12/06/1918

image.png.575cb66fc684deac05b1e6e2f97d29b7.png

Good Evening

White Star Line and Edward1, thank you both for the maps and information, It's very helpful.

Kind Regards

Andy

56 Infantry Brigade Order 110 dated 21/02/1918 mentions the entrance to Salamanca Camp on the Barastre - Haplincourt Rd and the Narrative of Operations for March mentions Sanders Camp just east of Haplincourt. 

Map TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2077 56 IB. Same one as the above but without the huts

Brian

56 IB map.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

This Location List is from the February 1918 WD of 19 Div HQ GS. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2056. 

The 19 Div A&QMG papers mention Sanders Camp but do not give an exact location. 19 Div took over from 63 Div.

This location List is from the February 1918 WD of 63 Div HQ TNA/Ancestry WO 95/3095. The A&QMG papers have more lists.

Brian

19 HQ GS 2056.jpg

63 HQ GS 3095.jpg

Hi Brian

Thank you for all that in depth information, very helpful.

Kind Regards

Andy

Brian, wonderful research as always.  I'll add these to the TrenchMapper Points of Inte3rest as there are many queries for camps in this area.  Camp names for Ypres are very common but few of these are named on maps I've seen.

image.png.053a6e945f2baf80e26f1a399bb51312.png

image.png.f78a94c8adf28fd4ad97dfe5bb079d01.png

Interesting to see the divisional disposition and the substantial area they covered (click to enlarge).  Modern map courtesy of Open Topographic Map (part of Open Street Map).  The positions are to the west of where the division ended up a month later in March 21 1918.

image.png.d00e137d16e6e43ae910d966e7d82d95.png

Bill

I did notice that the 19 Div list has Salamanca at O 10 a and Vittoria at O 10 c and the 63 Div list has Salamanca at O 10 c and Vittoria at O 10 a. I think 63 Div is correct and that is what you have used.

Brian