Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Heidenkopf Sector 24 June - 1 July 1916 information needed.

Ralph J. Whitehead

I am completing a research project regarding the fighting by the Heidenkopf against RIR 121. I am trying to locate any details or accounts from the British artillery and trench mortars opposite this sector to see what was taking place and with that information compare it to the German casualties. If anyone knows of any detailed British accounts regarding the bombardment for this period, I would appreciate hearing from you. 

I want to thank anyone who can offer information etc. 

Ralph

Ralph

I did some work on the Stuttgart casualty list few years back.  I have just glanced at it and noticed the name Lt d.R. Erich Rapp 4./RIR 121 KIA 1 Jul 16. All I can add is that he is buried at Fricourt Block 4 Grave 101

Thanks Jack, I would love to get a chance to visit the archives. I am hoping to compare bombardment plans with casualty details in each sector to see how effective the British plan had been. I hope all is well with you,    Ralph

When I was in Munich some time back, I went in pursuit of Major Heiden and ran him to ground in the files of KB 15 Inf Regt. These contained a sealed package of docs relating to the construction of the Heidenkopf in the wake of the Battle of Serre.  Some are faded and hard to read, but if you would be interested I can do some scanning for you.

That would be fantastic Jack. I would love to see what you have. I often use a program that allows me to enhance faded images. It would be very interesting to see the original documents, thanks.

OK. I shall get onto it as soon as I can and will send to your e mail address.  Watch this space!

Ralph

Use the search facility at the top of the page with the term Heidenkopf. There are some previous threads which may interest you. 

The War Diaries of the Commanders Royal Artillery 29, 31 and in particular 4 Division have lots of information.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I will check with the war diaries to see what they have. Ralph