Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of airman 74 Sqaudron

Grid

This is a well known photograph of King George V inspecting 74 Squadron, August 1918. Can any one identify the person at the end of the line after Roxburgh-Smith, Ira Jones and Carlin. I.e. person on far right.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 133423.jpg

7 hours ago, Grid said:

This is a well known photograph of King George V inspecting 74 Squadron, August 1918. Can any one identify the person at the end of the line after Roxburgh-Smith, Ira Jones and Carlin. I.e. person on far right.

Screenshot 2024-01-18 133423.jpg

Hi Grid.

I am sure you are correct listing this photograph as 74 Squadron and having checked Roxburgh-Smith and Carlin both whom served with that unit it certainly corroborates this but I thought to make you aware the image you have posted is cropped and alarmy hold a wider shot at this link https://www.alamy.com/king-george-v-inspecting-raf-pilots-on-the-western-front-in-france-during-world-war-one-august-1918-general-herbert-plumer-nicknamed-old-plum-can-be-seen-on-the-left-the-men-belonged-to-53-squadron-which-included-harold-auerbach-image504820913.html

The main reason I have added to the thread is alarmy record Lieutenant Harold Wilfred Auerbach as being in the photograph and I wondered if he is the officer you are seeking to identify. Harold served with 53 Squadron but he is similar looking to the airmen on the far right of your image and was in France in August 1918. One thing I do note is he doesn't appear to have a crushed hat in your image but in the attached he does.

I am in two minds but thought to suggest it anyway.

Gunner

Image courtesy of aroundealing.com

471AFB5B-B946-4F2B-AD38-300D5E1B42A0.jpeg

Edited by Gunner 87