Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attack on Hill 65 by 1/4th Bn Leicestershire Regt 27th June 1917

Julianw

I am planning to visit the location of an attack my Grandfather  (Capt Nugee) was involved in when he was a company commander of C Company. 

I attach an extract from his diary and from the book published about the Battalion which mentions this action.

Can anyone tell me when Hill 65 and well as the objectives ADJACENT and ADJUNCT might be?

Are there trench maps of the location from this time as I would like to walk the ground if at all possible?

Thank you

Julian

DiaryextractHill6527.6_17.jpg.e740af3230308d061fa1395d206794d5.jpg

Extract from Footprints of the Leicestershire Regt.jpg

Hi,

Have you looked up the battalion or brigade war diaries? They may include maps but will likely include trench map references which can identify locations.

1/4 Battalion Leicestershire Regiment | The National Archives

138 Infantry Brigade: Headquarters. | The National Archives

Regards

Colin

Adjacent, Adjunct and other A.... trenches are easily found on TrenchMapper.

I found this map by putting just Adjacent in the Advanced Search box. Then visit the map selection drop down in the lower left panel.

There is a fader to right to see the modern map, StreetView to get a ground level look and numerous others tools and features.

Sadly it is now in a built up area so little will remain to see.

If the search comes up with sheet 36c or 44a, they are the same map sheet.

Howard

Adjacenttrench.jpg

Edited by Howard

Julian, TrenchMapper from the Western Front Association has a 50,000 point of interest search engine and is free to use (WFA members get free downloads and additional zoom levels).

The first search hits for Adjunct & Adjacent also show Hill 65 (there are 2 Hill 65 features nearby but this is the one you want).  There are 70 trench maps of the area and at least one is date 26th June 1917.

For walking the battlefields, TrenchMapper has an opacity slider to see the modern landscape and allows GPS location display.  I would follow Colin's suggestion then come back with a outline of the attack.  We can trace that and overlay it on a modern map for easier navigation.

image.png.cbbf2e1f01b75a2fbc8f79a21cbc9378.png

10 hours ago, Howard said:

Adjacent, Adjunct and other A.... trenches are easily found on TrenchMapper.

I found this map by putting just Adjacent in the Advanced Search box. Then visit the map selection drop down in the lower left panel.

There is a fader to right to see the modern map, StreetView to get a ground level look and numerous others tools and features.

Sadly it is now in a built up area so little will remain to see.

If the search comes up with sheet 36c or 44a, they are the same map sheet.

Howard

Adjacenttrench.jpg

I love the little comment in blue crayon - 'This Cité is not lighted by GAS'.

Cheers,

Richard

• Admin
14 hours ago, Julianw said:

Are there trench maps of the location from this time as I would like to walk the ground if at all possible?

Thank you

Julian

Hi Julian,

you also have maps from the National Library of Scotland, which are free to view on line.

Screen shot below courtesy of link below, from February 1917.

Best of luck, regards, Bob.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464744

image.png.def46222ba450b1f868466791c014cc7.png

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=12.7&lat=50.41254&lon=2.85097&layers=60&b=1&z=0&point=50.42832,2.79035&i=101464744

• Admin

One more for you Julian, there is the 1/5th Leicesters account of that action written by Captain J D Hills MC. C de G.

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/17369/17369-h/17369-h.htm#Page_196

Also more maps at http://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/search/Lens?type=dismax

Just a matter of typing in a place name in the search box.

Regards, Bob.

39 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

you also have maps from the National Library of Scotland, which are free to view on line.

All the maps in TrenchMapper are free to view on line, 353 that cover this location.

Howard

• Admin
3 hours ago, Howard said:

All the maps in TrenchMapper are free to view on line, 353 that cover this location.

Howard

Thank you Howard,

I think I now have the hang of Trench Mapper, sometimes I believe it may be my computer being too full of stuff for it to work properly. I just had a clear out and I am now able to use the Trench Mapper site.

It is very useful:thumbsup:

Regards, Bob.

As Colin said yesterday. The WD of 138 Infantry Brigade had Orders, narratives and maps.

Please see this page from the narrative showing that the Object for 28/06/1917 was to capture trenches from N 25 a to the junction of Adjacent and Adult. I can not find any mention of Adjunct which is in your diary.

The map shows Admiral in M 30 b, Ahead in M 24 d and Adjacent in N 19 c

For your trip you will need the 1:25 000 IGN 2405 E Lens. The area is built up now but you should be able to navigate your way around. Hope you have a good trip.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/2689 EDIT Posted the wrong page from the Narrative, corrected.

map.jpg

43112_2689_0-00153.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

• Admin

Some more reading for you, this time from the perspective of the 1/4th and 1/5th Lincolnshire Regiment, part of the 138th Lincoln and Leicester Brigade , 46th North Midland Division.

https://archive.org/details/TheHistoryOfTheLincolnshireRegiment1914-1918/page/n261/mode/2up

Adjunct Trench is behind Adjacent Trench on the Map that Bill posted Yesterday.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547

Thank you all for your detailed responses. I will work through them and hopefully come up with a feel for what went on that day in June 1917

Julian