Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 x WW1 Rifle Slings (Lee Enfield) - 1 good, 1 dodgy?

MrEd

Hello hive mind!

I am looking for opinions on the wrights sling in this post.

I have 2 ww1 dates slings.
1. Is a ‘WARINGS 1917’ dated item which I am sure is genuine and correct

2. A ‘Wrights Ltd’ which I am not 100% sure on (never have been). It came to me damaged (missing a wire from one end) and I repaired it.

The WARINGS one is also slightly slimmer than the wrights one, and the 2 end pieces on the wrights one are a bit ‘squished’. There are a number of minor differences between them, and in general i think the WARINGS one is better lined up and put together which makes me suspicious of the wrights one….

I welcome comments, the WARINGS is genuine but the Wrights on I think is iffy - maybe a stamped up ww2 item?

Here are some photos side by side, the wrights on the right on all of them

Thanks all
Ed

P.S the wrights one was cheap, about the price of an unmarked generic sling, and the WARINGS one was the going rate.

p.p.s i have cross posted this on a facenook group, so apologies if you see it more than once 

IMG_1926.jpeg.9eb3745f53b6da11e48f1de4ee0b4c52.jpeg

IMG_1927.jpeg.b4cb3be129631732e44f05a9ebf35689.jpeg

IMG_1928.jpeg.5c20f19dfa087551510fed68aaa0d789.jpeg

Hi Ed,

There was a thread about this a couple of years ago with lots of examples, including mine which is an exact twin of your Waring's 1917 sling!

I'd say your judgement was right; first one sound, second one dodgy!

all the best,

Paul

20220714_173054.jpg

Hello, Ed -

For what my opinion is worth, I think that the "WRIGHTS LTD" sling is perfectly correct.  Everything about it looks correct to me, and it is natural for slings from different manufacturers to have minor differences.  

I'm no expert on British slings, but I have 8 -10 in my collection and have see several others.

Additionally, if the Wrights sling was faked, you probably would not have gotten it so cheap.

Perhaps I'll be corrected by some experts, but I would be glad to add it to my collection.

Regards, Torrey

Thanks @Alexander McLean and @paulowen - I am 100% sure the WARINGS is genuine, it’s going to go on my 1917 SMLE.

Thats the thing. It was cheap and not from a militaria dealer and no more expensive than a ww2 era unmarked one. I would have thought it would be ‘priced accordingly’ if the seller had faked it. That being said it was just for sale as a ‘SMLE sling’. I have just never been 100% on it 

Edited by MrEd

Both look dead straight to me. Most fakers don’t go beyond the obligatory and wholly unconvincing ‘ME CO 1915’ stamp on the webbing. Here’s a selection of makers’ marks on genuine examples - note that ‘Wright’s’ appear to have ditched the apostrophe at some point prior to 1916. 
On a GW sling related note, I’ve never seen an ME CO example after 1914, except to say there are two ME CO 1915 dated slings in the selection below. That said, the different font and the irregular alignment of the characters compared to the pre 1915 ME CO examples, suggests they’ve been manually stamped, which would indicate fake - but I’m still coming down on the side of genuine. I’d be very interested to see any other post 1914 ME CO examples.

Cheers

Pete

And speaking of ‘ME CO 1915’ stamps, there are two items currently listed on eBay that have attracted a lot of interest from bidders who apparently don’t subscribe to this Forum - and beyond that, said Forum rules forbid further comment.

edit : having just consulted The Karkee Web, I’ve learned that the correct name for the brass tabs is ‘catches

IMG_6698.jpeg

Edited by Pete_C

14 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Both look dead straight to me. Most fakers don’t go beyond the obligatory and wholly unconvincing ‘ME CO 1915’ stamp on the webbing. Here’s a selection of makers’ marks on genuine examples - note that ‘Wright’s’ appear to have ditched the apostrophe at some point prior to 1916. 
On a GW sling related note, I’ve never seen an ME CO example after 1914, except to say there are two ME CO 1915 dated slings in the selection below. That said, the different font and the irregular alignment of the characters compared to the pre 1915 ME CO examples, suggests they’ve been manually stamped, which would indicate fake - but I’m still coming down on the side of genuine. I’d be very interested to see any other post 1914 ME CO examples.

Cheers

Pete

And speaking of ‘ME CO 1915’ stamps, there are two items currently listed on eBay that have attracted a lot of interest from bidders who apparently don’t subscribe to this Forum - and beyond that, said Forum rules forbid further comment.

edit : having just consulted The Karkee Web, I’ve learned that the correct name for the brass tabs is ‘catches

IMG_6698.jpeg

Yes I have seen the two items you are talking about, they have been subject of some discussion over on the Facebook group - the seller is a known faker. Some very simple research would highlight the issues with these items, but yes we shall discuss no further here.

Interested to hear your thoughts on my slings, and thanks for the photo - the one top right is similar to mine font style just mine is more worn and scratched up.

The WARINGS is my favourite of the two

I think I'd find the Facebook group quite interesting, but haven't come across it before.

I know the Forum can't host direct links to this kind of thing but any clues would be appreciated!

Ta

Paul

8 minutes ago, paulowen said:

I think I'd find the Facebook group quite interesting, but haven't come across it before.

I know the Forum can't host direct links to this kind of thing but any clues would be appreciated!

Ta

Paul

PM sent!

it’s called ‘militaria fakes and forgeries’ and is run by a couple of well known chums in the collecting world 

I have a 1917 Wrights stamped the same, had it about 20ys, have seen a few the same over the years

Imo legit!!

7 minutes ago, 5thBatt said:

I have a 1917 Wrights stamped the same, had it about 20ys, have seen a few the same over the years

Imo legit!!

Have you got a photo?

thanks

ed

My own Wright's example below - the other catch on this sling is blank which is unusual as all the other GW slings I've seen have the maker's stamp on both catches.

'Wrights Ltd' is Michael Wright & Sons Ltd (MW&S Ltd) the other major manufacturer of Pattern 1908 Web Equipment. MWS and ME CO were the only makers who possessed the looms capable of weaving the cartridge carriers. They're still in business manufacturing (non-miltary) webbing products and still occupy their GW premises at Wright's Mill, Quorn, Leicestershire.

I'd speculate that 'Waring's Ltd' is Waring & Gillow Ltd, the furniture makers, who manufactured a vast range of textile based products during the Great War. Over the years I've seen some Patt 08 haversacks and many SBR haversacks bearing their name.

Pete

20240118_223018.jpg

On 18/01/2024 at 06:04, Pete_C said:

IMG_6698.jpeg

The ME Co 1914 sling, 3rd row down and centre, because of the blackened brass, I believe may be NZ...

IMG_3216.jpg.e81efb0fd4959e6f449598902bc54be3.jpg

[New Zealand Army, Personal Equipment 1910-1945 - B & M O'Sullivan, 2005]

Dan

5 minutes ago, Fromelles said:

The ME Co 1914 sling, 3rd row down and centre, because of the blackened brass, I believe may be NZ...

IMG_3216.jpg.e81efb0fd4959e6f449598902bc54be3.jpg

[New Zealand Army, Personal Equipment 1910-1945 - B & M O'Sullivan, 2005]

Dan

Yes, I think you're right. The reasoning behind the NZ practice is not immediately obvious. It was not, as far as I'm aware, extended to the many brass fasteners and buckles of the web set, and the brass catches of the sling are usually turned to the inner side, facing the rifle, when attached in the prescribed manner, so are not that conspicuous to start with.

My 1916 example above is from NZ but bears no trace of the blacking - not to say it hasn't been polished away but I suspect the practice was discontinued on the outbreak of war. It would be interesting to see other post 1914 NZ slings.

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete_C said:

Yes, I think you're right. The reasoning behind the NZ practice is not immediately obvious. It was not, as far as I'm aware, extended to the many brass fasteners and buckles of the web set, and the brass catches of the sling are usually turned to the inner side, facing the rifle, when attached in the prescribed manner, so are not that conspicuous to start with.

My 1916 example above is from NZ but bears no trace of the blacking - not to say it hasn't been polished away but I suspect the practice was discontinued on the outbreak of war. It would be interesting to see other post 1914 NZ slings.

Pete

Apparently all brass was blacked on both the kiwi pattern 1911 and 1913 sets.

I'd assume post 1915 kiwi slings will just be standard issue, but with NZ ownership markings. Other than the blackened brass, early kiwi slings are manufactured to exactly the same specifications as regular slings.

Dan

My Great War slings

1914 MECo

20240120_111142.jpg.b59be1a16412f44845ed28493771c3c7.jpg

Only 2 of these have a visable N^Z stamp

20240120_105224.jpg.27ff8ce73f324cee628f9055b67de857.jpg

1916 Wrights Ltd

20240120_105401.jpg.efe360ba15862e2e08f9e8fd2006a803.jpg

The N^Z stamps on these

20240120_105524.jpg.3b4aac065ed1d19ec8796d28bdf68201.jpg

My 1917 dated slings

20240120_105643.jpg.379711733a654917f80263c335ac5d16.jpg

The markings on these

20240120_105819.jpg.99955ccc7180d441a0abd6beeaeccecc.jpg

1914 MECo & 1916 Wrights would be the most commonly encountered WW1dated slings in NZ

Fabulous collection and outstanding presentation, thanks for sharing.

Also provides a definitive answer to Ed's initial enquiry around the authenticity of his 'Wrights 1917' sling - identical font in your 1917 example above.

Pete

7 hours ago, Pete_C said:

Fabulous collection and outstanding presentation, thanks for sharing.

Also provides a definitive answer to Ed's initial enquiry around the authenticity of his 'Wrights 1917' sling - identical font in your 1917 example above.

Pete

I think I am inclined to agree now, even the rivets match. Nice :) 2 genuine ww1 slings! Might have to get a second SMLE :)